Yet another Wood ID thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickDReed

Established Member
Reaction score
ROLL UP, ROLL UP!!

IMG_20230701_124055.jpg
IMG_20230701_124059.jpg
IMG_20230701_124107.jpg

Nice chap who gave me this said it wasn't a cherry tree. The bark seemed a bit prunus to me but what do I know.

Any guesses?

I agree cherry/pear/ apple ie fruit wood. I can't be bothered to photograph but out of my window I can see birch logs. The trees (two) were cut down months ago and they are white throughout the end grain. When split for firewood they are white/cream throughout. The birch bark peels off in strips. These were something like 30 feet high but had to be removed due to Planning/Building Regs. as too close to footings of a house under construction next door.

Phill05 does have a point; it does look like you might have two species in the photos. My first reaction was cherry. The one at the back has a bit shinier bark, so could be plum, but could also still be cherry. Doesn't look like apple or pear to me; the rings/grain ae not fine enough for pear (or apple, I think).
The guy who said it wasn't cherry.... on what basis was this? Fruit, leaves? Wishful thinking?
Before I knew any better I was sold a load of cherry by a guy claiming it was laburnum. He claimed it had yellow flowers! It had what looked like a brownish heartwood which turned out to be discolouration due to rot. More detailed research convinced me that the chance of it being laburnum was about as likely the first circle of hell freezing over!

Back