Xtreme Xtension

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonidentity

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been following old threads wrt the Xtreme Xtension for router tables. I am keen to follow this up. :roll: Yes, I know this old chestnut again :)

Having checked on the 'net there is not much in a clear way of detailled info.

I have a Trend 11TEK router I bought recently and a Leigh D4. So this leads to first question: Does the Xtreme Xtension support both 0.5" and 8mm bits?

My second question: where can I get this locally in UK for a reasonable price?

Thirdly: does everyone still maintain this as a good buy?

Thanks in advance. :)

I have the Xtreme Xtension inmy router table and IMHO it's a very good piece of kit, very easy to change bits from above the table.

It does support 1/2" and 1/4" bits but you will need an 8mm collet for the off size bits.

I got mine from Woodworkers Workshop, a bit priceybut well worth the money.

Hope this helps.

Hi Nonidentity

I apologise as I've only just woken up, so I probably haven't read your post properly and I am confused.

I'm interested as to why you would want the XX and the T11.

You mentioned the Leigh D4 but I wouldn't have thought the XX would be much help, as depth will be constrained by the guides.

I had thought that the whole purpose behind the T11 was to save you buying an extension when using the T11 in a table.

Perhaps you could clear up my confusion?

Thanks
Neil

I have bought it and allthough a lot of people here decided against it, i can tell you it is an absolute winner

xtremextenstion.jpg

Once you have an XX you soon forget about the price and changing bits almost becomes a pleasure rather than a chore. It makes a world of difference. :D

nonidentity":3dw8zvk8 said:
Well the connection is obscure I know but the bits on Leigh are 8mm so I have to consider the bits as well if I buy the XX. Thus the connection :lol:
I'm sure the Leigh 8mm bits what comes with their dovetail jig are supplied with a 8mm to 1/2" collett. Or was it the XX came with a 8mm to 1/2 collett? I've had mine so long I can't remember.

nonidentity":3gdemnot said:
Is the Dakota extension the same as the XX?

Does anyone know and have you used it?

Recommendations?

They are the same I think Rutlands just use the dakota label but in the text it say the XX. I think one of the guy from Rutland uses this forum so he might put in an appearance and be able to give you a bit more info

Martyn :D

Yep - its the real thing - I bought one from Rutlands when they had their 10% off sale earlier in the year - absolutely brilliant device - despite all the dire warnings in the manufacturers instructions about having to get it balanced & fiddling about with router bit orientation to overcome vibration I just mounted it in a brand new Freud FT2200 & tried it out with a couple of different large Tornado bits (also from Rutlands) & there was not a hint of vibration - very pleased & impressed (but that could well be down to the quality of the router - some of the low-end 1/2" routers may well give problems).

Personally, I think Rutlands have shot themselves in the foot a bit with their "Dakota" branding - it seems that any manufacturers items that they dont carry enough off to fill a whole page or two in their catalogue just get included in the Dakota pages regardless of how well known the manufacturer is (e.g. Gorilla Glue, Titebond, Fletcher) - but then branding is all about perception & perhaps my perception is different from what they think their usual customers perception is.

Richard

Back