Wycombe Chair Making Museam

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickCheese

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I went along to the Wycombe Chair Making Museum this afternoon where I met Robert Bishop. http://www.kraftinwood.com/. My wife said she would accompany me but I think she regretted it until we went upstairs where we found artwork, turned goods and jewellery. The jewellery was her reward for coming.

He was knowledgeable, enthusiastic and interesting. As it's part of the history of the area I live it had a greater importance and interest. My next door neighbour worked in the Wycombe furniture industry and before he died he gave me some wooden spoke shaves that were the same as those on the wall of the small museum.

I'm not a very good turner but do have a lathe, Robert gave me a leaflet about up coming events and guest turners so I will do my best to pop along on the 29th April to see Les Thorne who will be demonstrating.

So, if your in the area, it an interesting place to visit, contained within one room there is a lot of history. The gallery upstairs contains some stunning paintings, photography and artwork for sale. Be warned, the small jewellery collection caught my wife's eye and so I had to get my debit card out.

The museum cost £3 to look around but with Robert guiding you it's quite interesting and a venture worth supporting.

Mick

I used to take my students there every year, great exhibition and collection of chairs and some interesting videos of the Bodgers working in the Chilterns. Did you go into the small buildings out the back, which have more chairs in Mick?

They were talking about moving the chairs out of the main museum and taking them all to new venue, but it looks like they are still all here.

http://wycombemuseum.org.uk.gridhosted.co.uk/wordpress/

Cheers Peter

Peter

This is now in a separate industrial unit about 5 mins away from the main museum.

Very small but still interesting. 4700 chairs a day seems a tall order now days even with our machines.

The workers certainly worked hard back then.

Mick

MickCheese":2aievjwy said:
Peter

This is now in a separate industrial unit about 5 mins away from the main museum.

Very small but still interesting. 4700 chairs a day seems a tall order now days even with our machines.

The workers certainly worked hard back then.

Mick

Thanks Mick, the demise of Wycombe's furniture industry is very sad, I will check out the other museum next time I go down.

Cheers Peter

Back