Would it be crazy to............

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
In the new year I'm going to build a new work bench. I was going to buy the wood for it but I have a lot of very dry hard woods sitting in my barn. Not enough of any one species to make a whole bench though. So would it be crazy to make a bench out of several different woods? The woods are oak, ash, cherry, chestnut, beech and a few fruit woods, plus possibly a bit of elm. I know that different species have different densities and probably expand and contract at different rates, but different cuts of the same species do too. What are your thoughts guys and girls?

No idea on the wood movement issues, but if you got the selection correct i bet it could look awesome.

What's the worse that could happen?
Your bench top warps in some way.
Nothing a hand-plane or belt sander can't fix.
If it's all hardwood and seasoned, most likely you won't have any major issues.

I would get a book on building workbenches. There will be no issue with different woods as long as you use them carefully. The best benches I have seen and used have considerable mass and I would focus on that most of all - the materials will not be that expensive and if you have stored choice woods that can be used for fine furniture I would not "waste" them on a bench unless you will never use them. I would stick with a single timber species for the top personally.

I would make the top out of one species, beech would be sensible and the frame could be a mix of species say oak legs and cherry rails. Whatever works best

A bench is a tool, not a piece of furniture. OK, if it looks pretty that is a bonus, but its main purpose is to hold wood while you work on it.
So if the wood you have is good enough to make some nice furniture, save it for that, but if it is just sound odds and ends, then use it to make a bench and most of all enjoy the build.
And if there are no pictures you never made it.
:)

dzj":eikat4y4 said:
What's the worse that could happen?
Your bench top warps in some way.
Nothing a hand-plane or belt sander can't fix.
If it's all hardwood and seasoned, most likely you won't have any major issues.

They're my thoughts exactly dzj but I wanted confirmation/moral support on that before I go ahead.
Fitzroy I think choosing the right combination will be a challenging and enjoyable design decision. :D

AJB I already have (and have read most of) Chris Schwarz 'The workbench design book' and can't remember him bringing this subject up.

PAC1 my original idea was a Douglas fir base and beech top, but when I looked at the price of hardware (vices etc.) I decided to look for some cost cutting and came up with this idea of mixing the woods I already have.

Steve if there are no pictures, I never made it or I made it badly :lol:

One timber for the top, then paint the base.

That's what I did!

Shooting-Board-1.jpg

Attachments

• Shooting-Board-1.jpg
    Shooting-Board-1.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 239
Nice wood for furniture, anything else for bench.
My new bench consists of unwanted steel box section - beech worktop offcuts - offcuts of trailer flooring - bits of pallet and bearers.

Just do it (and send me some cherry :D ).

custard":2hllf2ut said:
One timber for the top, then paint the base.
I agree with the suggestion of ensuring the use of one timber species for the top, but also suggest you try and maintain similar grain orientation in the top for consistency, i.e., use all 1/4 sawn assembled in the same orientation to make up the width, or all tangentially sawn.

As to the underframe, use whatever is to hand, even if it's a seemingly strange mixture of species. As custard suggested, you could largely disguise it with paint if needed - and it's a workbench your building, a tool, not a piano so, within reason, who really cares what it looks like. Slainte.

Just to throw my thoughts into the mix, I built a bench a couple of years ago, my own take on a split top (bench crafted) roubo. The base and stretchers are cherry (felled from the plot I built my parents house on). And the top is beech, with iroko dogs and middle tool holder bit. So there is a fair mix there. I completely agree if I was in my workshop making money all I would want is something to get the job done. But I'm not trying to make money, I'm in my workshop trying to make every project better than the last. I want to be inspired by my environment.
I spent a ridiculous amount of time and money on it and couldn't possibly justify it, but I don't have to. To summarise I think it all depends on you motivations and priorities and everyone has their own thoughts.

you really don't need to use hardwood for a workbench, softwood is good enough, don't fall into that trap. I used scotch pine for my bench and it doesn't need to be heavier or harder, don't waste your air dried hardwoods on a bench that's only going to get beaten up anyway, it's up to you in the end, best of luck with it and merry christmas!

regards,

thetyreman.

Thanks for all your input everyone. I'll forget about it for a couple of days now and make my mind up later. I will probably do a WIP so you will all know what that decision was.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Back