Wotsit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.S

Established Member
Reaction score
Having a clear out and whilst sorting through some tools and hardware I came across this 'device':
IMG_3155_sc.jpg

which is hinged (one way only):
IMG_3154_sc.jpg

and has a hole in one end of the top bar:
IMG_3156_sc.jpg

Initially thought it's some sort of portable coat hanger but why so well made (note the chamfers and decoration) and why the hole?

Anyone any idea what it might be?

Edit: sorry, it's about 100mm by 80mm

Attachments

• IMG_3155_sc.jpg
    IMG_3155_sc.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_3154_sc.jpg
    IMG_3154_sc.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_3156_sc.jpg
    IMG_3156_sc.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 766
The hook looks exactly like the form seen on a boot puller,
so I suspect it's some kind of footwear related multitool.

It's so nicely made, I further suspect it might be hunting related.

Boot puller link:
http://leatherking.ca/-boot-accessories ... uller.html

Edit; confirmed; found an old eBay image

boot.jpeg

(fits nicely into a folding boot jack)

So in the picture 1 tool is clearly a combined button hook/boot puller, and the other tool is...
...yours.

BugBear

Attachments

• boot.jpeg
    boot.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 720
It's a folding boot hook.

Imagine yourself getting ready to go out on the town. You have your nice frilly shirt and your best breeches on, but your tight-fitting leather boots are a bit difficult to get hold of and pull up snugly onto your well-rounded calves... fortunately, they have strong cloth loops inside the tops. Using the hook, you can grab a loop and pull them up nice and tight!

If you were wearing overalls, as you might be doing on a muddy night, they had canvas straps to hold them down over the outside of your boots. They wore out fast and often needed repairs, so a punch was a handy extra, for making new holes.

Here they are in a couple of old nineteenth century catalogues. Very much a gentleman's accessory, with a variant at every price point:

20151113_162307_zpsfsxvtobs.jpg

IMG_20151113_162610_zpsyerdyfqu.jpg

bugbear":37zcwx53 said:
Edit; confirmed; found an old eBay image

(fits nicely into a folding boot jack)

So in the picture 1 tool is clearly a combined button hook/boot puller, and the other tool is...
...yours.

BugBear

Glad you said 'yours' not 'you' :D

Great thinking and find - that's exactly the thingy. Thank you =D>

AndyT":2gm7hfyp said:
Here they are in a couple of old nineteenth century catalogues. Very much a gentleman's accessory, with a variant at every price point:

Timmins, perchance?

BugBear

bugbear":5mtu40q3 said:
AndyT":5mtu40q3 said:

Timmins, perchance?

BugBear

Yes, one image from each of the two available reprints, by the Reeses and by Philip Walker. I left out the bibliographical details in a vain attempt to post the answer before you did, but I was still not quick enough! :lol:

AndyT":39diyalq said:
It's a folding boot hook.

20151113_162307_zpsfsxvtobs.jpg

Brilliant additional info, many thanks =D>

That numbered 1036 looks like mine - priced at 34 shilliings/dozen. Must be worth a gazillion by now - if I can find the right gentleman. Chris Eubank perhaps :idea:

AndyT":1y049udf said:
Yes, one image from each of the two available reprints, by the Reeses and by Philip Walker.

Andy

Is this the Phlip Walker auction house (now closed?)? If so, do you know where I may be able to get old (1993-2000ish) catalogues - just researching another matter?

Mike

Back