Worth a visit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any dealings with Devon Woodturning? They have loads of stuff on e-bay but as they aren't too far from me I could visit them if it is worth while. Without postage, some of their wood seems pretty cheap and as said in another thread I suppose I am going to have to dive in and buy some wood some time :lol:

Pete

I have contacted then only on ebay about postage. They were easy to deal with and gave me the answers i needed. I never used them but i agree that they sell good reasonable wood. As you stay close you are on to a winner. I got almost 50 wood blanks from Scottish Hardwoods again on ebay. You can find it if you go to the community page and type in paulconroy. Delivery is quite reasonable.

Pete.
I still couldn't bring meself to pay for timber like those pieces shown.
I am more than happy with the few pounds i have paid for with the logs i've got.
Went and seen the tree surgeon again yesterday and i can have all the rest of the Yew he as got.Some pretty biggish logs their,all delivered.
So i think i will keep doing it this way meself.
Paul.J.

Pete, If you are ever in the area a little further south John Bradford is worth a visit, I am sure he could accommodate your preferences from around his yard, I found him very obliging in finding cost effective bits and pieces to supplement the prepared blanks I bought from him.

(See my signature suppliers link)

Paul.J":3k8a8l1z said:
Pete.
I still couldn't bring meself to pay for timber like those pieces shown.
I am more than happy with the few pounds i have paid for with the logs i've got.
Went and seen the tree surgeon again yesterday and i can have all the rest of the Yew he as got.Some pretty biggish logs their,all delivered.
So i think i will keep doing it this way meself.
Paul.J.

I feel the same Paul, it goes against the grain :)oops:) but I am running out of dry wood and with the weather lately even the 'dead' wood that I scavenge is sodden and takes an age to dry out. I have some offcuts from a builder and a furniture restorer but thought it would be nice to do a couple of bigger bowls, platters etc in decent 'proper wood' like a normal turner for a change, :lol: and I haven't got any wood that size drying.

Heartbreaking to buy but I can't complain, well I can but I have no reason to.

Sorry Chas, this was meant to be in the last post.

Thanks for the tip re John Bradford. I'll give him a ring soon and pop down and see him. Apart from the net, the only place I have seen blanks for sale has been Yandles and they are kinda costly by my standards. If I was selling proffessionally I could probably make up the price but for a hobbyist? Nooooo

Pete

I've bought blanks from both Devon Woodturning and Scottish Hardwoods via e-bay,and have been quite happy with both.
Started off getting a 10kg "mystery box" from Paul Conroy (Scottish Hardwoods) and some other blanks to go towards the 30kg limit for p&p.
Blanks from Devon Woodturning were very good,and had a different selection of timbers - wych elm,horse chestnut etc.
If I lived near enough to avoid p&p,I'd certainly call in for a look round.(But then again,I can't resist going to G&S at Penrith,John Boddys at Boroughbridge and Hexhamshire Hardwoods at Whitley Chapel either.. :wink: )

Andrew

Latest posts

Back