Workshop tour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archersam

Established Member
Reaction score
On a roll with posts tonight so thought you might like to look at my new space. I had been working out of a single garage in my back yard which meant I could really only work in good weather as I had to take much of my equipment out of the garage before I could even get into it let alone work! As you will see I am now very spoilt but have since found out that I need MORE room :shock:

Boxing day at 7am - basic benches made from salvaged timber from a skip are in order
misc011.jpg

Stuck in a mezanine to use the extra height space and allow me to store stuff in the "rafters"
misc013.jpg

Installed a "finishing area" which I realised I needed after the extensive sanding of the sapele table that is posted in another thread meant that I would not actually work on another job as despite extraction and an air cleaner there was dust everywhere. A very valuable lesson indeed.
misc015.jpg

At least I know where everything is.....when a friend helps he has no idea!!
misc0255.jpg

Recessed the SCMS so can use the bench for support for long pieces
misc028.jpg

View with the garage door open
misc034.jpg

Made a bench for my table saw:
workshop010.jpg

Make up something useful to work on and to store equpment, BUT it also doubles up as an outfeed table for the table saw.
misc0252.jpg

Posing with my new Christmas pressie (the Trend face mask!!)
workshop012.jpg

zmisc036.jpg

zmisc037.jpg

zmisc040.jpg

Added the base to the radial arm pillar drill today as it was a pain to use where I had squeezed it in.

zzmisc002.jpg

Couple of arcade machines for when I get bored (as if that is EVER going to happen!!!)
zmisc016.jpg

It is still being developed as I learn what works and what does not. Feel free to ask anything you like about the install, more than happy to give away information as I have sure been taking some from here. Thanks Sam

Thanks for the tour, and a good use of the space you have. If only one day I have as much space as you have I'll be happy. Just one question and its not much really, but it would help in my small shed. The first photo, theres an earlex vaccum in it i think. Do you ever use this for dust extraction? As I looked at one of those before to extract the dust from my bandsaw, and hopefully my router table I've yet to make. At the moment, my bandsaw just collects the dust with nowhere for it to go. :(

Hi Simon, yeh I am very lucky although in fairness it comes at a significant cost as it is on an industrial estate.

Yep that is an Earlex vacuum, the one with the take off socket so it comes on automatically. I have had it a LONG time and used to use it on everything before I got the other extractor on ebay. I use it on my router table to good effect as I have still not got the extraction system plumbed that far along the wall!

I actually just bought a cheaper version from Wickes to stick over the other side of the workshop to use on my pillar drill and other small pieces so that I don't have to keep dragging stuff backwards and forwards.

Paul.J":1csnkxuh said:
Nice looking workshop Sam :D
What are your thoughts on the Trend Airshield :?:

Paul, I think it is great, its a bit awkward sometimes as I wear specs and they can catch but I seem to have it organised.

Like a numpty I was using it straight out of the box as was excited to get it for about 4 weeks before I realised I had not fitted the filters! :oops: Its a significant improvement!!!

Hi Sam,

Excellent workshop, you look like you have it rightly sorted out. Health to enjoy, I'm sure you will have many happy days there.

(Did I spot a little Porsche gloat in the middle of those pics?)

Brendan

Steve,

I think you are right, I just came back to check because I thought I had made a mistake.

Brendan

yeh its my TT roadster as that way you can get long lengths of wood in it with the roof down, although since i got an old Transit I have thankfully stopped doing that.

Fantastic workshop, Sam!!

In fact, I'm tired of seeing everyone else's palatial premises............. :wink: .........I'll give workshop tours a miss from now on because of the induced desire to go out and pull mine down!

There should be a gloat warning on this one!!!

Mike :D

Yeah, I need to brush up on my cars. You know, when I was 16 I could identify a car from 300 paces by a tiny glimpse of the corner of a tail light but since I discovered wood I don't seem to see anything else.

I'm with Mike here. All these super workshops are making me very discontent.

mine (workshop that is) always seems sub-standard compared to others.

love seeing others though (workshop that is)

Steve

kityuser":2tdnfr7v said:
mine (workshop that is) always seems sub-standard compared to others.

love seeing others though (workshop that is)

Steve

hey Steve, its an interesting perception as I personally think my workshop is a bit average compared to some of the ones I have seen on here. Yes it is big 9400sq ft to be precise + mezanine - GLOAT) but the benches are functional and not at all elegant or "crafted" like some of the cabinets and benches people have made. BUT it does the job and I really enjoy being it as I know many of you do no matter the size of your own space.

I take it you built the MAME cab? If Only I had the space!! Been something I've wanted to do for years. One of the things that enticed me to woodworking.

wizer":2gzhji47 said:
I take it you built the MAME cab? If Only I had the space!! Been something I've wanted to do for years. One of the things that enticed me to woodworking.

hey Tom, nope they are original 1980's cabinets (they are HEAVY) that I picked up on ebay as non-working that my geek friend fixed in 5 minutes!! Now they just need upgrading. Ive got a Galaxian cocktail table in my flat, but it does not run MAME although have been toying with converting it.

Workshop and a half that is, lots of nice kit too, thanks for sharing.

Only thing I didn't see with all that sharp and pointy go roundy very fasty stuff in there was the prominently mounted first aid kit?

Oldman":3jhvtq2u said:
Workshop and a half that is, lots of nice kit too, thanks for sharing.

Only thing I didn't see with all that sharp and pointy go roundy very fasty stuff in there was the prominently mounted first aid kit?

err, I can assure you it is there, but yes it is not prominent as I found out when I slashed my hand open with a blunt stanley. It will be this weekend along with the eye wash station.

Back