Workshop...shipping containers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petiegolfer

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a workshop project to do at some point and have been looking a the possibility of using shipping containers. I live in Southampton so should be able to get some easily.

Has anyone had any experience?

lots of pluses...strong, secure, quick to put up can be chopped around and still retain integrity.

Can be clad and lined easily.

What do you guys think?

Piers

I think it's a fabulous idea! In london docklands or somewhere like that there is a 'container' city, where numerous people have joined together a number of container to build area for people to live and work (mostly artists and the like).

I don't see a downside myself, and would be very intrigued to see any progress with your project if you go down this route.

My neighbour has two of these mainly for storage. There is a downside to them in that they suffer from condensation unless lined well. They are also very hot in the summer. He has a Mustang (the car not the horse) in one of them and has lined this one out with insulation and boarding to alleviate the problem. :wink:

I'm prety certain there was a lengthy discussion on this topic a couple of yrs ago. I can't find the thread tho :/

Secure? - a disc cutter can make short work of them!

I've seen plenty broken into on remote sites by cutting a hole through the metal sides!! :(

Rod

Whilst working for Her M ajesty, we lived in them down the Falkland Islands. They can be joined, windows put in etc, as for the security aspect, I suppose the same could be said of any portable building.
:eek:ccasion5:
Banjo

I think it's an excellent idea - provided you insulate it and provide some form of permanent ventilation (they tend to be almost hermetically sealed, compared to traditional construction materials).

My company has recently tendered to build a 300-bed hotel from shipping containers, all fitted out prior to delivery to site. Each container is somewhat larger than normal (still road transportable) and contains two en-suite bedrooms plus a short length of corridor.

Let us know if you proceed with this idea.

Paul

I have a friend who works for a shipping company and he is getting some figures for me. They are coming round for dinner tonight so I should have an idea soon.

Martin said that getting them to the site could be expensive...and could be problematic. A haulier with a crane or forklift would be required..which wont be cheap.

The idea would be to put two 20' containers side by side which would give a space 20' by 16'. With an angle grinder I would cut out the sides in the middle and the tops. I would then joist out the roof with 6x2's and have a low pitched roof. This would give me some storage space.

The shed would open out onto a big raised deck that will have a great view over the city.

I will try to get some pics posted of the space where I would be putting the structure / deck it will be a big project and wont happen for a while but planning is all important!

Ive also got to post with my bathroom project which is on the go at the moment. Not a huge amount of woodworking in it but a lot of work none the less! Im finally getting to the "on show bits" ie tiling etc.
Look out for another thread startinig soon.

Piers

If you join them together permanantly the local planning office may consider that they are no longer mobile but a permamant structure possibly requiring planning permission.

Building Control might also get a bit twitch if they are insulated, plasterboarded, heated and start looking like a habitable room - so ok for a workshop but not a snooker room.

Back