Workshop Satisfaction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rob,

You are indeed observant - this is indeed plan c (or D/E if you include my previous home). El-Rusto unfortunately did go with everything else that I had (SIP TS, 14" BS etc etc) earlier this year in a reluctant sale, so I'm starting again but with more modest requirements/spending power :)

I'm confident however, that I've refined my requirements so much now that this'll be the last overhaul (stop laughing at the back there!) :wink:

ByronBlack":2vzqfck4 said:
Hi Rob,

You are indeed observant - this is indeed plan c (or D/E if you include my previous home). El-Rusto unfortunately did go with everything else that I had (SIP TS, 14" BS etc etc) earlier this year in a reluctant sale, so I'm starting again but with more modest requirements/spending power :)

I'm confident however, that I've refined my requirements so much now that this'll be the last overhaul (stop laughing at the back there!) :wink:

Assuming then that the 'shop operation has been scaled down somewhat, what sort of kit do you see yourself with in the near future? The question is associated with the sort of stuff that you also want to make? At present in my shop, I'm looking to get bigger stuff, especially a bandsaw, so that I can produce wider veneers and then I'll need a wider planer to surface the board for the next cut and then if I get hold of thicker boards from Yandles I'll need Wizers new saw to sort them out...
I can feel myself sliding :oops: .... - Rob

woodbloke":2wr5tdlr said:
ByronBlack":2wr5tdlr said:
Hi Rob,

Assuming then that the 'shop operation has been scaled down somewhat, what sort of kit do you see yourself with in the near future? The question is associated with the sort of stuff that you also want to make? At present in my shop, I'm looking to get bigger stuff, especially a bandsaw, so that I can produce wider veneers and then I'll need a wider planer to surface the board for the next cut and then if I get hold of thicker boards from Yandles I'll need Wizers new saw to sort them out...
I can feel myself sliding :oops: .... - Rob

Therein lies one of the problems; one's requirements can have different levels of scalability over time. For example: all my efforts/interests are in guitar making, so I have a smaller bandsaw, and smaller table-saw as I'm not dealing with long boards and large panels, however, I still have a large refurb list on the house so will require certain elements of panel cutting etc.. so at the moment I'm trying to devise a plan of machinery that'll enable me to do both but within a modest budget, which isn't so easy to do!

The main thing is that i'm fed up with constant changes (some unavoidable), I seem to spend more time working on the 'shop than actually working In it :)

Agreed, and it's always very difficult to find that ideal compromise position where kit will fit into the 'shop and be adequate for current and future projects. I'm surprised that the venerable 'el rusto' went...I thought that it was a good bit of kit (once you'd sorted it out :x ) and with a 10" cut I'd have thought it would have fitted into the new scheme of things very well. I think you also had the big Axminster t/s (or clone) with the sliding carriage?...again a good piece of kit but a bit too large. It's one of the options I've looked at but I think the Jet SS has a smaller footprint. For a more compact saw the K419 or similar clone (from Ax) takes a bit of beating, apart from the rubbish extraction on it (now sorted on mine) - Rob

Rob, I had the SIP 10" CI Sans carriage, the footprint was actually ok, and it was a good saw, I can definitely recommend it. Getting rid of the saw and the PT wasn't a choice I wanted to make, I liked both machines, and they were excellent for what I wanted to do, but needs must..

I'm currently looking at a Kity or and Ax/Clone as you mention, I think they give me all the capacity I could really need.

I'm not convinced that there is a 'right' way that meets ones' own requirements for all time. I think it depends on the type of woodworking that you do. It will depend on the size of project. Depend on your preference for hand tools (so a good bench will be a must) or power tools which take space especially as the size of the machines may well go up in proportion to the size of stock and your ambition!

Then your finishing needs come into it...do you need somewhere to spray and leave it to dry in a dust free environment (like my workshop :whistle: ) and then what about sharpening? Wet stations need their own dedicated area but then if you go 'off' of wet and onto a dry system then that changes the requirements for space.

Wood to be stored will always exceed the available space.

One may also fall out of 'love' with a particular machine. But then again perhaps we have TOO MANY machines??

RogerS":3jnpirsq said:
I'm not convinced that there is a 'right' way that meets ones' own requirements for all time. I think it depends on the type of woodworking that you do. It will depend on the size of project. Depend on your preference for hand tools (so a good bench will be a must) or power tools which take space especially as the size of the machines may well go up in proportion to the size of stock and your ambition!

Then your finishing needs come into it...do you need somewhere to spray and leave it to dry in a dust free environment (like my workshop :whistle: ) and then what about sharpening? Wet stations need their own dedicated area but then if you go 'off' of wet and onto a dry system then that changes the requirements for space.

Wood to be stored will always exceed the available space.

One may also fall out of 'love' with a particular machine. But then again perhaps we have TOO MANY machines??

Rog - I think you have it. I've had my current equipment for about 10 years now and it's fine for what I do at present, but for any larger projects that may loom over the horizon, my gear isn't big enough. For example, I was at Yandles last Sat just quickly :whistle: turning over the boards, trying to find a decent bit of something for the next project. They had some cracking bits of English Cherry that were 75mm or so thick so there's no way with my current gear that I could convert it into useable stock as the K419 will only saw to a depth of about 53mm and my portable c/s is about the same. I could have done it on the b/s but then I'd have to heave up a huge lump of timber to waist height and balance on a small b/s table...bit of a no brainer. The only option I've got at present is to saw the thick stuff by hand with a decent Disston rip :shock: and then use the table saw etc to machine it further, so all in all, it's slightly frustrating at the moment with the capacity of the machines in my 'shop - Rob

ByronBlack":1tvek0k4 said:
I'm having another 'transitional' period in the workshop, yet another new setup and layout, and another 'deep clean' in a bid to get organised, but somehow after each time I do this (this is the third time in two years) within a few months I feel agitated to change it around again in the grand goal to achieve perfect woodworking feng-shui

Am I the only one who does this?

?

Yes! :lol:

I think the 'perfect layout' is just a pipe dream and irrelevant to a large extent for hobbyists. If you are doing it for a living, then every minute saved is worth it (money!). For a hobbyist, there is so much time spent thinking, 'designing' fitting, using hand tools etc., that the shop layout can be anything vaguely sensible and saved mionutes are largely irrelevant (if w are thruthful).

The pleasure is in the making and designing, not saving a few seconds here and there.

I have changed mine once since moving to the new house 5 years ago - I bought a new tablesaw and made a new workbench, so things needed moving quite a lot (tablesaw is big!).

My only caveat is that I hate having a machine 'stored' that needs lifting/plugging in etc. and is not set up ready to go.

Tony":qsk6undz said:
My only caveat is that I hate having a machine 'stored' that needs lifting/plugging in etc. and is not set up ready to go.

I've just realised this. My bobbin sander is in a low cupboard, but it near on breaks my back trying to man handle it onto a worksurface. I have taken to using it on the floor, which is not ideal. Need to figure out how to make it a perm fixture.

Many moons ago I started off with a few hand tools, an original Workmate, a B&D circular saw and a small Clarke table saw.
Over the years I bought ex school: a workbench, Meddings Pillar Drill and ML8 lathe.
These were all fitted into my double garage with all the other storage needs of bikes, toys, gardening tools, decorating stuff etc. etc.
When I retired I bought a garden shed (with hindsight too small) and managed to move some of extraneous stuff into it ( but sadly not all!) :(
My garage now contains: DEFT TS, Router Table, Workbench, P/T, ML8, Startrite 352, Extractors, storage units, sharpening stations, Woodrat, Unimat 3 lathe, bikes, wood storage, lawn mower and gardening tools!
It is definitely a one person shop and the trick is to have everything mounted on wheels. It's not ideal and far from perfect, but I love it and spend whatever time I can spare in it. :D

Rod

wizer":3tsgceo1 said:
Tony":3tsgceo1 said:

I've just realised this. My bobbin sander is in a low cupboard, but it near on breaks my back trying to man handle it onto a worksurface. I have taken to using it on the floor, which is not ideal. Need to figure out how to make it a perm fixture.

Any machine needs to be ready for immediate use IMO. If I had to move or lift something, set it up, use it and then put it away again (portable power tools excepted) I think it would irritate me beyond belief :evil: Iirc Wizer you've got a scms or similar...plenty of room if you got rid of that (can't see the point of having one in a 'shop) or I could look after your new t/s for you :lol:

Tony":1cwbdzfj said:

Thats spot on, thats my main issue currently. I always have to reach under worktops/units move a ton of stuff, get tools/machines, set it up etc..

I find I spent about 75% of my time just setting stuff up, moving bits round than actual working on the project - so hopefully, the new setup will help with this.

Hands off Rob. I think you're right, the SCMS is slowly loosing it's value. Used to be my favourite tool. It was the first quality power tool I ever bought and probably got me hooked on buying quality. I've said before tho, I just know the year after I get rid of it, someone will ask me to do decking, or I will want to build a shed! :wink: :roll:

wizer":xdr8jrag said:
I just know the year after I get rid of it, someone will ask me to do decking, or I will want to build a shed! :wink: :roll:

If it came to that, you could rent one, buy a cheapie (I have a cheapie axminster SCMS, and it's fine for doing basic jobs like sheds/decking etc..)

Mine is usually tucked away somewhere, or better still at my dads place, it's like a bad penny though, it always seems to find it's way back in my 'shop, but it's certainly not critical to my usage, and I can't see a definite use for it if you have a decent TS and/or a shooting board.

Wizer - not me - you mean Rob :)

I forgot to add my bobbin sander and Rage SCMS (for metal)!!

Rob I agree about not having everything to hand and would love a dedicated shop like yours - but it is not that bad if things are mounted at the correct height and it's just a matter of wheeling things into place.
Most of my frequently used and heavy gear is immediately to hand. :)

Rod

wizer":35sa6i02 said:
Hands off Rob. I think you're right, the SCMS is slowly loosing it's value. Used to be my favourite tool. It was the first quality power tool I ever bought and probably got me hooked on buying quality. I've said before tho, I just know the year after I get rid of it, someone will ask me to do decking, or I will want to build a shed! :wink: :roll:

Without diverting the thread too much, I think that this is the value of a scms, in other words, as a site or portable tool...ideal for cutting decking or to build shed but with little real use in a fixed 'shop. I know that Pete (Newt) has one (complete with stand, which takes up even more room) and never uses it.

Final answer on the c/s?..don't want to 'fone a friend or ask the audience? :lol: :lol: - Rob

karl":1bwlx6eq said:
Mattty":1bwlx6eq said:
If you could find this i would be very grateful. I'm just building a new workshop and am keen to get it as close to right 1st time.

Thanks,

Mattty

Here you go

Cheers

Karl

Nice one Karl, I'm refitting my workshop at the mo based on this design. I downloaded it as a PDF but feckin Acrobat has stopped working on my PC all of a sudden :? and I couldn't remember the URL. I'm really happy with this design, perfect for a 1 car garage workshop. WIP pics will follow when I've it done

its not easy to lay out your workshop if you struggle for room but with some thought its suprising. i put my table saw and planer/thicknesser back to back wich saves a lot of room and my spindle moulder and band saw are higher than my work bench so i can pass boards over the top of the bench wich also helps a lot.

Back