Workshop reorganised

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust

Established Member
Reaction score
I have spent the last few evening rearranging my workshop. The two things I wanted to achieve were more space around the tablesaw and a an area where I can assemble large items.

I have moved the tablesaw into the the middle of the shop and placed it such that there is enough space around it to cut a full sheet in half either along its length or across its width. At the moment there is a roller stand behind it for support but I plan to make a good sized outfeed table which will also double up as an assembly table.

I intend to make a stand with wheels for the planer so that if I need to work on very wide pieces on the saw, I can just push it out of the way.

DSCF0001.jpg

The bench area is to the left (nice and close to the stove). The bucket underneath is full of clamps.

DSCF0002.jpg

CopyofDSCF0003.jpg

To the right is the temporary router table. I have recently obtained a Triton which I have put into my old table until I have time to build a new one.

On the back wall is the radial arm saw which has 9 feet of clear space either side of it for cutting long planks.

DSCF0012.jpg

In the pictures there doesn't appear to be much space between the machine but in reality there is easily toom to move around them and they have all been placed so that long boards will go through them without moving anything.

Finally, the large area for assembly with my little bandsaw in the background.

DSCF0006.jpg

Sheet storage is to the right of this area and there is easily enough room to put a sheet on the floor for initial cutting with a circular saw. It is also handy for the garage door so when I have timber delivered the truck can pull up to the door.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike, looks very well planned out, wish I had as much room, how efficient is your stove, does it take long to get going, do you have to shut it down at night or does it just go out on it's own?
Regards, Rich.

Hello all, neat and tidy, and a woodburner!!!!! makes mine look like a tip,( a cold tip at that.)
I will not be the only one envious of all that room.
GT

I've got a double garage as a workshop with roughly the same amount of tools and benches and it looks no where near as spacious as yours :(
I think it's due to the fact that I have wood stacked on end and it takes up too much space, so will have a rethink having seen your layout.

Re the woodburner, it looks to be the same size as mine. It takes about 20-30min to heat the room to a comfortable temperature, and if burning wood it gets restocked every 30mins, sawdust maybe a little more often. If you shut both vents it stays hot enough to reuse for about 4 hours, when I finish work I aim to have it almost empty then shut the vents and it's cold in the morning. You can buy the bigger ones and they will keep hot enough to immediately use the next day. I did overload mine one day and the outer metal ended up glowing cherry red - so they can get hot!!

I'm also very jealous! :twisted:

It looks like you might also have more potential storage space if you lay some chipboard down on top of the ceiling joists, depending on what kind of roof you have.

...Not that you need the extra space or anything! :wink:

Thanks for the replies.

It's a fairly typical two car garage and is about 19 feet by 19 feet. There is quite a bit of storage in the roof although because they are trussed rafters, it's difficult to get anything large up there but I am thinking of boarding it to improve the storage and insulation.

The stove makes all the difference and I really wouldn't want to be without it.

I put some wheels on the planer tonight so now it can be moved easily if needed although I hope that I've got the layout right and it won't need moving too often.

My next workshop project is a proper router table for my Triton; the plywood and formica should be delivered on Friday and all the other bits and pieces are on their way.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

That looks like a really good space to work in and is very organised.

David

Looks good.

Re the planer wheel stand, I had mine (same model) on one of those htc stands for exactly that reason but actually found that while it dramatically increased its manoeuvrability, it also meant that it was prone to sliding when large stock was being planed. In the end I ordered the two wheel and handle set which means that it is easier to move (than without wheels) but stays still when under load. Admittedly my workshop has a wooden floor so it may not be a prob on concrete.

HTH

Cheers

Tim

tim":2ozubqn0 said:
Looks good.

Re the planer wheel stand, I had mine (same model) on one of those htc stands for exactly that reason but actually found that while it dramatically increased its manoeuvrability, it also meant that it was prone to sliding when large stock was being planed. In the end I ordered the two wheel and handle set which means that it is easier to move (than without wheels) but stays still when under load. Admittedly my workshop has a wooden floor so it may not be a prob on concrete.

HTH

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

Having tried it, I now completely agree with you!

It was nowhere near as stable on castors as it was on its own stand, so tonight I put the stand back and will think of another method for moving it if I need to. Hopefully I won't as I've found a better place for it.

I've also swapped round the pillar drill and the morticer as the drill was too high on the stand but it's OK for the morticer.

Work is progressing well on the router table so I will post some more pics when it's done.

Cheers
Mike

Back