Workshop Plans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhalfa

Established Member
Reaction score
I have seen on the forum a number of very impressive workshop builds over the last year or so. As a result I am tempted to move out of my large garage and do something similar at the bottom of the garden.

So how do I approach designing the building? Is there a book I should be reading, or are folks just making up the design and ther specifications of the walls etc?

What should a garden building virgin do?

Regards

Jonathan

Read into the subject lots of books on amazon most from usa i have sheds & garages gives some build techniques and design considerations. Actually its a big subject when you think of all the shapes and sizes types of cladding, insulation etc.

I have built a few sheds in the past along with summer houses and garden buildings. I built my own workshop too as have a few other forum members on here. There is a certain sense of achievment to build your own which can't be bettered IMHO. My avatar shows my workshop and it took me just over two weeks to complete. Readup as much as you can on building sheds and workshops and you will find it is pretty straight forward. Build one side at a time and once each frame is complete erect it is basically the principal. I am sure there will be may replies to your question and a lot of good advice along shortly. :wink:

I've just started one Jhalfa, i can send you the plan i'm using.

1202411732_CR_balamm-TheArchitect2.gif
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd dig back through the workshop/projects section of this forum, and study each photo in detail, maybe by saving to your harddrive and looking in detail.

There has been quite a few going back a while (so you may have missed a few) and I'd be tempted to write notes on anything you like/things that you don't require. After that, its just hard graft I think.

Adam

Thanks guys for the advice - I have ordered a number of books from Amazon on the subject and I can think about what I want from there.

Fom the threads I have looked at, it is a matter of making the marge flat base and then constructing the sides in panels, erecting them and then covering the whole lot. What I really wanted was somewhere that details how far apart the uprights should be, what kind of DPC to use, how should the walls be lined (vapour barrier, insulation etc etc), should the floor be covered with wood, what is the optimum design for roof trusses and so on. I am hoping the books will give me the detail

Shultzy - thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it once I have decided how large it should be.

According to my local planning website, as long as it is not more than 4m tall at its apex, does not take up more than half the garden, and is more than 5m from the house then there doesn't seem to be any requirement for planning permission. This is good given that my garden is 150ft long and I am not a keen gardener!

Regards

Jonathan

Hello Jhalfa

I don't know if the rules for building sheds have been 'harmonised' across the UK but it seems unlikely that you would be able to put up a seventy five foot long building without permission.

I may be wrong, but I think you'll find that there is a limit to the area of the building, above which planning &/ building reg's come into force.

I live in Devon and their rules are posted here ...

http://www.middevon.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=855

One thing that affected me was the requirement for a one metre space between the boundary and the combustible (aka wooden) building.

I'd ring the local planning/building control department in case something has been left out on their website.

As far as specifying the details of the building goes, have a look at the posts by OLD. Lots of useful references there.

Cheers

Deejay

I am afraid the website that I had my build documented on has gone now but I do have the plans in Sketchup format if you need them. :wink:

Deejay":13g04rr4 said:
Hello Jhalfa

I don't know if the rules for building sheds have been 'harmonised' across the UK but it seems unlikely that you would be able to put up a seventy five foot long building without permission.

I may be wrong, but I think you'll find that there is a limit to the area of the building, above which planning &/ building reg's come into force.

I live in Devon and their rules are posted here ...

http://www.middevon.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=855

One thing that affected me was the requirement for a one metre space between the boundary and the combustible (aka wooden) building.

I'd ring the local planning/building control department in case something has been left out on their website.

As far as specifying the details of the building goes, have a look at the posts by OLD. Lots of useful references there.

Cheers

Deejay

Remember lots of buildings come under building regulations but not planning. I think most authorities would be fine with a wooden building at the bottom of a garden closer than 1m, although I did put mine at 1m, and the gap has proved useful. I think, strictly speaking the 1m rule only applies if you have over 25m sq internal area, below that, its fine to be less - As you can imagine there are millions of garden "sheds" flush with boundaries, and our workshops (from a local authority point of view) are only glorified sheds really.

Adam

just picking up on this as its a hot topic for me - what I want to put up is 20 odd feet long by 8. If I wanted to put up an 8x6, I wouldn't even be worried. I wonder at what size does a typcial garden shed that everyone sticks up where they like become something completely different. I'm guessing when the length starts to go over about 10 feet.

Back