Workshop Overhaul

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
So I have got 6 weeks until my new Jet Supersaw arrives and I have a number of improvements to complete in preparation. Namely (in no order):

• Have a good clear up, find homes for things, be brave and chuck unwanted wood.
    Board over existing rough concrete floor.
    Repair leakin wall
    Board and insulate walls (possibly ceiling)
    Insulate roller door
    Install Radiator
    Install socket for TS
    Install more light fittings
    Possibly run in dust extraction hoses.

In 6 Weeks? :shock:

Pictures and words as activity happens

Looking forward to hearing how that goes, Wizer. I'm going to be starting something similar in the near future. Are you having to upgrade your electrics? and if so are you going to do it yourself? Thats something that I'm going to have to do (new CU for the garage and a couple of 16A outlets). I've been told it'll be quite expensive and was toying with the idea of doing it myself ( :shock: )
Good luck anyhow, I'm sure you'll enjoy the Jet SS :mrgreen:

I had the electrics upgraded early this year so it should be as simple as running another 16a socket in. I'm considering having the socket run under the new floor to the TS.

Wizer,

6 weeks? How on earth can you wait that long? That would be enough to drive me nuts. I have enough trouble waiting a few days for a new toy.

Good luck with the overhaul.

Dave

DangerousDave":2jp13rh6 said:
Looking forward to hearing how that goes, Wizer. I'm going to be starting something similar in the near future. Are you having to upgrade your electrics? and if so are you going to do it yourself? Thats something that I'm going to have to do (new CU for the garage and a couple of 16A outlets). I've been told it'll be quite expensive and was toying with the idea of doing it myself ( :shock: )
Good luck anyhow, I'm sure you'll enjoy the Jet SS :mrgreen:

Does Part P apply to NI? Not sure. If it doesn't then go for it and DIY (assuming you're competent :D :wink: )

ok a question.

Workshop Radiator Placement.

The easiest place is next to my workbench. The pipes would easily run to this location. Tho, it would take up valuable wall to floor space. My Dad seems to think it's a genius idea to have it high up on a wall (actually above an RSJ in the middle of the shop). To be fair this location would also be ideal for the pipes to drop in from the above bedroom.

Would having a radiator up high make it inefficient or even dangerous?

WIZeR

You mention in your first post, boarding and insulating the ceiling. As it appears that it is an integral garage/workshop is the ceiling not already boarded with some type of fireproof board.

Dennis

WiZer - just as an aside for a mo', will the new Jet SS need a 16A socket or will it run off a standard 13A ring main? - Rob

I assume the Jet SS will need a 16a socket, which shouldn't be a problem as my Jet P/T in on 16a, should just mean running a spur, I'll consult a leccy about that.

Dennis: The ceiling goes up to the main bedroom and is currently covered with plasterboard. One of the reasons I'm considering covering and insulating it, is that the above room is very cold in the winter, more so than the rest of the house. There is insulation under the floor of that bedroom. My solution was so insulate and heat the workshop as much as possible, so there isn't a 'cold zone' below my pit ;) Being a bit of a sicknote, I spend a lot of time horizontal :roll: :wink:

I just wondered if having a radiator up high is worthwhile.

Well, radiators give out heat by, um, radiation...so lower to you would be better. OK - there is convection heat as well but that goes up. One idea I've been toying with for my workshop is to suspend a piece of soilpipe vertically - long enough to be about 6" or so from celing height and a few inches above the floor. Then to fit a small fan inside it - maybe a bathroom extractor fan or similar - and get it to draw down the hot air at ceiling height and exhaust it gently at floor level. Worth a try?

Hi Wizer

Have you thought abour a fan rad somthing like you would find in shops over the door.

Regards
Norman

Hi Wizer

Just to add to what others have said already, my SS runs quite happily off a 13amp supply.

I hope you are as pleased with yours as I have been with mine, I found the sliding table to be a pain to set up but once it was done it's been as good as gold and not needed any further adjustment since. All in all my favorite piece of machinery.

Best of luck

Richard

Thanks chaps, 13a it is. Make it easier.

norman: Do these fan heater, you speak of, plumb into the system? Or are they electric only? Are they expensive to run?

Hi wizer

work in the same way as your car heater. Hot water pipes with a fan to drive the air over. They work very well . I had them fitted in one of the houses that I owned in the 70`s works in the same as normal c heating. also usefull as a cooler in the summer.

Regard
Norman

Thanks Norman. I think that's going to be an expensive option, both to begin with and to run. I may plumb a radiator above the RSJ and later, if I feel the need, install some sort of DIY fan infront of it.

RogerS":2uum41bb said:
Does Part P apply to NI? Not sure. If it doesn't then go for it and DIY (assuming you're competent :D :wink: )

Hi Roger, as far as I know part P does apply unfortunately. I have an HND in electronic engineering so under the old regs I would've prob been classed 'competent' :shock: Gonna have to get a spark in to do it I suppose and just part with the cash (the more spent on the garage the less is available for new toys :x ) I currently have 3 double 13A sockets in the garage that are on the same circuit as the kitchen sockets (!)

wizer":35k3sy93 said:
Thanks Norman. I think that's going to be an expensive option, both to begin with and to run. I may plumb a radiator above the RSJ and later, if I feel the need, install some sort of DIY fan infront of it.

could use a car heater connect to the pipework would save a lot of work.

the ones I had came from a firm with 8 mill pipes, called Mini rad very cheap to run only had to heat about 20 ltrs of water with the main boiler to run about 10 rads.

Regards
Norman

Back