Workshop lighting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyechem

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking at improving my workshop's lighting, and was wondering what sort of lights other people use. I'm thinking something with an enclosed bulb would be good, help prevent them getting knocked by unwieldy bits of wood.
Cheers, Iain

Hi Skyechem, I've got open (unguarded) fluorescent bulbs, and a poseable lamp (normal desk type), over the bench. Couple of others have mentioned it elsewhere in threads. Guarded would be better I suppose. Suggestion:- plenty of light over the bench / machines, adequate over corners / storage. DON'T forget the sockets - can't have enough (same as clamps...)

Hope you get more help soon mate.

In the last workshop I built I used 4 X long Flourescent lights from screwfix. Reasonably cheap and gave plenty of light for my needs. Also had lots of big window in that one though.

Having recently rehashed my small workshop I've fitted a pair of these. As they are HF fluorescents they start fast and don't hum. I've fitted Osram "daylight" tubes, they give a much better light for working. They feel a little flimsy, but once clipped together and screwed to the ceiling they seem to take bashes from a clumsy woodworker OK :oops:.

Well worth it :D

Boz

Yep Boz, those are the ones I fitted with the OSRAM tubes. I hit them a few times with no damage and they worked fine.

When I set up a workshop, many moons ago, I was warned that as flourescent lamps flicker moving objects might sometimes look stationary.

There may be danger here if moving blades look stationary.

The remedy is to use at least two flourescent lamps, if those are chosen.

xy

xy mosian":3e1798rv said:
When I set up a workshop, many moons ago, I was warned that as flourescent lamps flicker moving objects might sometimes look stationary.

There may be danger here if moving blades look stationary.

The remedy is to use at least two flourescent lamps, if those are chosen.

xy

Use HF fluorescents - it's only cheaper iron choke ones that run at 50Hz that have the strobe effect with synchronous motors on machine tools.

Boz

I have 5 standard flouros in my workshop. One hums like hell. I have 2 more units that I want to swap out the hummer and install one extra so I'll have 6. I think this will eliminate most shadows.

I have five standard tubes, some double and a couple of singles, plus plenty of natrual daylight from three decent sized windows. I also use a series of 60W clip-on spot-lights on various machines as well as two over the bench - Rob

Ivan says :
total flux needed = 300 x 5.5 x 5.5 / 0.5 x 0.6 which comes out to 30,250 lumens

I work that out at 10890 ? Did I miss a step or hit the wrong button on the calc or does Ivan already have 4 x as much light as he needs ?

Best I read it again, must have missed something...

New I must have missed something. Needed brackets around his operators :) was doing it one step at a time.

Cool formula, will use that on my new workshop build comming up.

I'm going to need around 42000 lumen basic for the new place :shock: my electricity bill is going to go mental :( time to sell all the power tools and go back to hand tools only.... NAHHH :D

I have two 100w down lighters set in the ceiling, three 58w tubesspaced on ceiling chains and a 40w spot on the bandsaw to illuminate the cut. I also use a LED headtorch when doing fiddly detail on dark timbers.

Most of the time I have the curtains open and use the really big light outside in the sky.

something wrong with your sense of touch? Who needs good lighting? I think it depends a huge amount on the quality of your eyesight, I seem to be able to get away with very little compared to some of you

Aidan

I must admit I'm a little light mad. As well as the fluoros, I have an anglepoise over my workbench and 2 over the lathe and I often have the roller door open in the summer.... :shock:

TheTiddles":24lgh9dr said:
something wrong with your sense of touch? Who needs good lighting? I think it depends a huge amount on the quality of your eyesight, I seem to be able to get away with very little compared to some of you

Aidan

Yes you are a mere child but don't worry once you reach decrepitude your eyesight will fail you :lol:

TheTiddles":wis8a48h said:

Aidan
My eyes aren't what they used to be when I was a kid and I can't focus as well without bright lights (pin hole effect from a closed iris?). I also have an eye injury from a 600mm steel rule about 5 years ago. It was on the edge of a shelf while I was measuring stock and I caught it with my sleeve. Instead of gravity doing its job properly the rule 'helicoptered' in the air and then cut through my right eye. I had lenses in instead of my usual glasses and it cut through the lense and the cornea together. Sometimes my vision gets a little fuzzy in that eye.

I did have a blind student at college who did all her work using a very large magnifying lense and by touch. Incredible sensitivity in her fingertips for gauging grain direction, glue lines and smoothness of finish. She could even spot the glue lines in a table top that had been sanded and finished.

Thanks for all the replies: fluorescents seem to be the way to go. Now just to work out the best place to put them, so everything is well illuminated.
Cheers, Iain

TheTiddles":1dz9gtr1 said:
But you are a young whipper snapper, when your eyes have seen another 20-30 years use, the cry will be more lights I can't see what is happening! :roll: DAMHIKT :oops:

Back