workshop legalities

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve & Neil,

you don't have to use the local authorities building control officers. When we had our extension built last year I used a company called JHA Innovation Ltd (http://www.approvedinspector.com/). The inspector was actually very helpful, but also pragmatic and flexible to site conditions. I think that the increase in volume of building regs has actually deskilled the trade and lowered standards, builders now build to meet the (minimum) regs rather than to do the job as well as possible.

When I rebuilt my workshop last year, I didn't bother with planning or building control and don't foresee any problems although I live in an ANOB. If anyone asks, I just reclad and reroofed it. However, I'm building a field shelter for our ponies now and am not sure whether to approach the planning office as the field is quite visible and in an AONB. Tricky subject this, but I hate beaurocracy and dealing with jobsworths.

Andy

builders now build to meet the (minimum) regs rather than to do the job as well as possible.

That's always been the case Andy.
I read a book sometime ago with the exciting title of 'The History of the Brick', well one has to doesn't one?
According to that learned tome modern day design/regs require a vertical damp course which is normally achieved with a cavity wall construction.
The cavity wall was originally an idea that permitted the use of bricks in a 'stretcher' formation, thereby decreasing the number of bricks in the building and reducing to a minimum the number of bricks that had to be cut.
The old timers considered that to be 'jerry building'.

Roy.

You are, of course, absolutely correct Roy. I have a problem with the 'tick box' approach to standards and measurements. We see it in schools, universities, hospitals, local authorities etc and it almost entirely fails to measure anything of worth and obscures the actual process or property that is being measured. The result is that it becomes meaningless and encourages methods of meeting the measurement, rather than the standard. In terms of building regs, this leads to lots of inspections that are irrelevent and standard approaches to getting the tick rather than the best method of doing the job. Its also removes the skill from the worker as it does not rely on their judgement and experience.
Andy

Its also removes the skill from the worker as it does not rely on their judgement and experience.

The whole of society is going the same way Any. When I lost my left eye and had to register a disabled I was sent a form, (what else?)
'Please tick Appropriate Box,' unfortunately many boxes were not appropiate therefore form cannot be filled in accurately.
No Problem! We have another form, (what else?) that covers that, 'please explain the difficulties that you have.'
So why not put that on the first form?
Answer. Too many people can't answer questions or write properly!
The other day a set of GCSE papers were sent out complete with the answers. I wonder how many people failed the exam? :lol:

Roy.

Latest posts

Back