Workshop layout

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameronhill97

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, my workshop is a 20ft by 8ft shipping container and i hate how narrow it is I was just wondering if anyone had a workshop similar for me to base some ideas off, thanks

Hi

Could you give us a little more information? What tools do you use? Are you mostly power tools or hand tools and what do you make mostly? Do you start from 8x4 sheets and break them down or work on small projects?

Sorry for all the questions - just think it'll help you get the best ideas from people here.

Have you seen / read The Workshop Book by Scott Landis? Very thorough and I seem to remember it covering small shops and narrow shops and has loads of ideas on how to position bandsaws / planers etc to maximise space.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listi ... 594&sr=8-1

I am working out of a single garage.

This is what it was like.
messy shop 001.jpg

Isn't much different now, although I am gradually sorting stuff out.

I will keep you posted if you wish. Another pic after breakfast, so you can see my 'progress'.

Cheers

John :?

Attachments

• messy shop 001.jpg
    messy shop 001.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 219
I work out of my shed, it's two shed joined together. So quite long an arrow.
But I'm just doing this as a hobby and I'm still figuring out things myself.

I have a row of narrow shelves down one side of the shed. They store most things, but I've realised this is a bit of mistake. I'm gradually clearing out junk and removing the shelving to open up the floor space. I've kept the top shelf as a space to store lengths of wood.

Have a bandsaw on a moveable stand. I often need to swing it sideways or diagonally to make cuts into longer pieces of wood (that hit the walls). So it's good to keep that mobile. Have the got the option of wheeling anything outside? (I guess a shipping container must be sitting on solid ground)

I've started making quite a narrow workbench along the window side. Have moved the bench sander under the workbench and have a lift out top to access that. Saves quite a lot of space and means that the benchtop can be longer.

I have tool boards on the wall - this frees up a lot of drawer space etc and I've been able to get rid of some surplus toolboxes and cupboards.

I struggle to assemble anything though - that's why I'm trying to clear the shelving from one side and open up some floor space. Want to try and fit in a second hand table saw too.

Hope this helps.

Martin

My own workshop is around that size, here's what I did, largely through trial and error:

- Short end (far): diy bench, loads open storage underneath, window above bench.
- Long side A: fixed stuff eg tool box on legs, router table, wall mounted mitre saw, fold down arms for supporting mitresaw work, sticked hardwood on floor, long shelves on wall for sundries.
- Long side B: movableish stuff eg moveable bandsaw, wheeled extractor, wheeled planer thicknesser, then rack on wall for clamps, saw rail.
- Short end (doors): not too much really, the festool boxes, portable router table.
- Rafters: long rail saw.

Also have outbuilding for excess hardwood and sheet stuff, and a small lathe that never gets used. Don't skimp on the lighting. A small workshop can be easier to keep warm and air dry in winter.

Did have both a table saw and a floor morticer but these were annoying, always in the way when building larger projects, so sold on and replaced with Rail Saw and Dom, never looked back…

Hope that helps,

Yetty

Cameronhill97":2q6jkgq6 said:
Hi, my workshop is a 20ft by 8ft shipping container and i hate how narrow it is I was just wondering if anyone had a workshop similar for me to base some ideas off, thanks

What tools do you have? If you have large power tools such as tablesaws, bandsaws lathes etc. stick every thing on mobile bases/castors etc.

My single garage is 5.1m x 3.1m (so a bit wider) and I find it to be fine. I see a lot of online pictures of people's UK garage workshop setups with worktop and cupboards down just about every wall in the garage. Personally, I think that's a mistake as it seriously cuts down your options when handling larger stuff. Put stuff on walls, by all means, but only maybe have one wall where you have fixed worktop max.

I use alot of bench top power tools such as my dewalt table saw , a small bandsaw, thicknesser, mitre saw and router table. However in the near future i would like to upgrade these tools for bigger ones so when that comes i will have to really think about my layout. I do sometimes use 8x4 ft sheets but rip them down outside as my small tablesaw could not handle it anyway. I cant wheel any tools outside as my workshop is raised up on some brease blocks due to moisture coming up through the floor.

Cameronhill97":3vxlodm1 said:
I use alot of bench top power tools such as my dewalt table saw , a small bandsaw, thicknesser, mitre saw and router table. However in the near future i would like to upgrade these tools for bigger ones so when that comes i will have to really think about my layout. I do sometimes use 8x4 ft sheets but rip them down outside as my small tablesaw could not handle it anyway. I cant wheel any tools outside as my workshop is raised up on some brease blocks due to moisture coming up through the floor.

You're going to need planning when you are designing a project.
Get your sheet supplier to cut the 8 x 4s down to manageable sizes. I have to do that and I design cupboards from sheet goods , by reducing the panels to 4 x 2 feet sections. You have to think about grain direction if you are using the natural face of the sheets, but it's a big help.

I hope you see what I am getting at. :D

Have you considered the flip over stands? Some people think they're amazing - others think they're a pain! You have two tools that share a base - flips over depending on the one you need. Lots of youtube videos where people have made their own

I've set my bench sander on a box under my bench. Lift out a section of bench when I want to use it. Have seen some people sitting on a low chair to use scroll saws on low stands that go under benches etc/ But this is hobby stuff - sounds like you are handling lots of of bulky timber.

Something that I've seen in a professional shop was staggering the table height cleverly. Table saw fed out two inches over the top of the router table - the stuff that came off the saw went over the top of the cutter and the fences etc. The guy put a couple of pieces of of wood on the router table to catch the stuff coming off the saw.

Same idea on side benches. Some tools set a little lower so that long timber passed over the top of them. Sounds a bit silly but it meant the machines could be packed in tight and save space but not interfere with each other. Guess you just have to know your individual machines.

Hope I'm making sense. Late night here! Do you have any photos of your current set up?

Back