Workshop Layout

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
I built a new home office earlier this year
I decided it would make a reasonable workshop / office

it is 3.5m2

i need to fit the following in:

bandsaw
mitre saw
flip \ table saw
bench drill
bench grinder
lathe
workbench

I cant seem to fit it all in..in my head...no plans

I have a RAS, I have never used one..bit rusty but sure it works

would i be better off getting rid of the table saw and mitre saw
or would i regret loss of table saw

it is only diy use

Steve

can you explain 3.5m2. Can you give us a length width and height. To me your statement is an area of 3.5m x 1m or 1.87m x 1.87m or any other measure getting to 3.5m2. In which case you will not fit all that kit into it

The most space hungry thing on your list is the table saw. Unless you will be working mostly with sheet materials, you would be best to leave it out and maybe think about a small planer/ thicknesser.

In that space you will need to think about putting things on wheels so you can move them about and also take advantage of doors and open windows to take advantage of outside space for feeding long or bulky items. Scaled cut-out representations of your kit on squared paper is a good place to start. Good luck.

Jim

I forgot the thicknesser in my list

i think that will sit under a bench and lifted on top when needed

I have 2 doors which open to 4 foot

paper cut out time

I think i need to make sure everything is at same height so i can share rollers

Steve

12 feet by 12 feet isn't a huge space for a workshop. It's comparable to a single garage. Practically speaking you won't fit all of that in AND be able to work comfortably.

FWIW, I'd get rid of the table saw and use the RAS instead, it's much more versatile.

the RAS scares me a bit
I haven't used it for this reason
I bought it on a whim
maybe I dig it out when the rain stops
it is the only workshop I have owned...and I had to beg to build it that big
it is only a hobby

Steve

MMUK":16sa2xcp said:
FWIW, I'd get rid of the table saw and use the RAS instead, it's much more versatile.

I'm suprised you say that, I'm not arguing that you're right or wrong but I would have thought a table saw was much more useful. In the 10-11 years I spent in workshops a RAS was only really used for rough stock prep, while the table saw was used for many different operations, in fact one of the workshops I worked in didn't even have a RAS or chop saw.

tim burr":ja8jckre said:
MMUK":ja8jckre said:

I'm suprised you say that, I'm not arguing that you're right or wrong but I would have thought a table saw was much more useful. In the 10-11 years I spent in workshops a RAS was only really used for rough stock prep, while the table saw was used for many different operations, in fact one of the workshops I worked in didn't even have a RAS or chop saw.

I admit I have a bit of a thing for a good RAS :oops: :oops:

I personally like cutting down into the work piece rather than cutting up into it, it just feels safer to me and I find it more accurate for pocket or slot cutting.

My workshop is about the same area. I have the axi CT150 (planer), Axi TS200 (table saw) in a custom base with router table in the wing, Axi CT330 (thicknesser ) on a custom stand, wall mounted Axi WV1000 extractor. Bench.

After having used the above apart from the saw for a number of years now. While the kit is good, i realistically have no room. So i am considering at some point getting shot of all the above.
Replacing the separate planer and thicknesser with the Jet JPT 260. While it looks big it is actually the same size as my planer.

The saw and thicknesser would make room for a decent bandsaw. As i mainly use real wood. Sheet goods will be cut in the garden via my cordless saw.

Having previously had a 'Norm' style router table, that went in favour of one in the rails of the TS. After about a year of use with the smaller router table, i don't miss the extra size of the previous one.

The extractor will be replaced with an externally fitted home built cyclone.

Hopefully all that would then give me room to move and make things. :lol:

Steve, over the years I've seen plenty of hobbyist workshops that end up virtually unusable because they get stuffed with too much not very good equipment.

The space you have would give you a terrific turner's workshop, with additional space for a bench which would mean you could take advantage of your bandsaw to make moderate sized furniture projects using mainly hand tools and a few hand held power tools. Everything else on your list is just a space eating barrier to working safely and efficiently.

that list is already owned and in use
apart from bandsaw...still unused

I had to empty a small shed into the garden..pray for good weather..then stuff it all back

the thought of going out to the new shed on a rainy day pleases me

so I do need to cram it all in somehow

I have no knowledge of what a bandsaw is capable of, so would be interested to see if that can replace anything
sheet materials are not my thing and if needed would just get cut at overpriced store
I like working from the rough and not start with clean timbers....someone done half the job doesn't appeal to me
i just really want to make a few items

first job is a cot \ bed for my expected grandson that will come from rough sawn loft boards

Steve

OK so we've got to make it all fit somehow. Can you do a quick outline sketch of your new workshop with positions of doors and windows? That alone will dictate where the majority of the stuff can go. Also a few bed sizes of the stand alone items would help.

Steve, my shop is even smaller - 3.6 x 2.4m. One way is to decide where your woodworking interests lie and restrict your power tools to suit. IMHO, if it was a choice between a bandsaw or table saw I'd choose the BS which will do much of what a TS will do but not vice versa.
As suggested by other replies, I've put my thicknesser and compound mitre saw on stands with lockable casters (and handy cupboards underneath) so they can be pushed out of the way and made the outfeed heights for both the same height as my router table. Then I've built a feed table to suit this standard height. The table has folding legs (like a trestle) and when not in use hangs on the wall out of the way. I've also put my dust extract system outside the shop in a dog box on an end wall and piped through into the shop.
I guess what it comes down to is; don't have tools you will rarely use or can't already be done by another tool in your arsenal (e.g. my router table allows me to edge joint timber so no planer) and don't clutter your shop with gear that can be accomodated outside.

For most spaces, the position of windows, doors etc will have a major bearing on what you can put where. And don't forget that for static machinery, the footprint of the machine is only a small part of the area you need to operate that machine, unless you only deal with short pieces of timber.
Making machines mobile can allow them to be moved out of the working space of others when not in use, but don't sacrifice stability for mobility!

wellywood":2qfn7e13 said:
if it was a choice between a bandsaw or table saw I'd choose the BS which will do much of what a TS will do but not vice versa.

Absolutely. A bandsaw and a p/t is a powerful combination if you are working mostly in solid wood. You may spend a bit more time in preparing it compared with rough cutting on a t/s but you save quite a bit of very vaaluable space and the extratime is much less significant in a non-commercial situation.

Jim

I'm in a similar situation, more gear than space - although I have a tad more to work with.

My solution was to custom build the bench taking into account the tools I use, i.e. I have fitted an Incra system to the table saw and built a side extension to the saw which houses a router insert plate and is drilled with 20mm holes. This way I have a table saw, router table and MFT-capable bench (workable with my Festool rails, router, track saw and domino) and general bench all within the footprint of a decent sized bench (with a very accurate fence system).

Also means my dust collection is centralised for some tools as well. This is a work in progress, will post pics when complete but my point is that you have an option to make the workbench space work more effectively if you build it around your work process.

If you have multiple tools and put them into too little space without some customisation you just end up with a regrettable version of workshop tetris.

The option for a Jet combined thicknesser and planer is a good choice. I looked at loads and the Jet seemed a good buy.

Another thing to note as others have pointed out is the placement of windows and doors, etc, also be aware of electrical points and good dust extraction - you may want to build this into the fabric of the room and this has an impact.

Back