Workshop Insurance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yetloh

Established Member
Reaction score
If I added up the cost of replacing everything in my workshop (amateur) it would come to a lot of money by most people's standards, not least my own! Most household structure and contents policies limit cover for what they describe as "outbuildings". In my case, my workshop is attached to the house with direct access from it and is alarmed. Even so, I have found it difficult to find full cover at a reasonable price.

Any thoughts or experience on this problem would be appreciated. Most insurers seem to take a standardised approach which doesn't cater for keen amateurs who have a lot of valuable kit.

Jim

When I started to take an interest in furniture making some 20 years ago, the Guild of Master Craftsmen offered an insurance policy for people just like you (and me), Jim. I took advantage of this for a couple of years but then it was discontinued because of lack of interest. Since then I've just relied on house insurance covering outbuildings. Fortunately I haven't had need to test it so far.
Brian

We live on a smallholding so we have a few outbuildings including stables (along with horse tack etc) and all gardening/land maintenance kit, as well as my workshop in a detatched garage, so have a lot of 'outbuilding contents' to insure.

We went with M&S who's cover is pretty comprehensive, as can be seen from the screenshot :D

Attachments

• M&S Insurance Cover Screenshot.jpg
    M&S Insurance Cover Screenshot.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 152
We have a Nationwide buildings and contents policy and tools & equipment in detached garage/workshop are covered up to £5,000. Also have endorsement allowing long term unoccupancy.

Policy wording here - https://www.nationwide.co.uk/~/media/Ma ... ng-booklet

Theft or attempted theft using force and violence
to get into or out of your home.
The most we’ll pay for theft from outbuildings
and from detached garages is the theft from
outbuildings limit shown on your Policy Schedule

Sawdust=manglitter":1nnfxs0n said:
We live on a smallholding so we have a few outbuildings including stables (along with horse tack etc) and all gardening/land maintenance kit, as well as my workshop in a detatched garage, so have a lot of 'outbuilding contents' to insure.

We went with M&S who's cover is pretty comprehensive, as can be seen from the screenshot :D

I’m with M&S for the same reason. NFU will also insure an outbuilding and contents for a specified value but they were somewhat more expensive.

Richard

Back