workshop hutch style racking system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on starting my workshop interior mods. First off I fancy building a workbench "hutch", don't want to quote too heavily from Norm, but something along the lines of what he made ontop of his wall hung workbench.
I've got old kitchen units with a worktop mounted ontop going 3/4 of the way across the back of my workshop (single garage conversion), the idea is to build the unit above. Ideally I want it to cover that wall.

something like:
Backbench-57.jpg

:shock:

um well maybe not, probably just a bit simpler. I'm thinking ply line the wall then mount a "racking system" onto it. Basically I'm looking for mega storage here, abrasives, fixings to air guns and drill drivers.

I'm going to knockup some sketches, but something along the lines of:
0106s.gif

Obviously I already have the bottom "unit in place".

Question is material. I'm planning on 18mm ply, and I've been offered some "shuttering ply" at 14 bob a 8x4 sheet. Never seen this stuff and its through a mate, apparently its "one good side" stuff thats used for..... shuttering. Should I pass and stick with "construction ply" from a shed/travis perkins or building centre or take a punt?

interested to hear comments, also any piccies of other peoples would be great

ta

Steve

kityuser":21m0qj6l said:
Question is material. I'm planning on 18mm ply, and I've been offered some "shuttering ply" at 14 bob a 8x4 sheet. Never seen this stuff and its through a mate, apparently its "one good side" stuff thats used for..... shuttering. Should I pass and stick with "construction ply" from a shed/travis perkins or building centre or take a punt?

ta

Steve

I had the same idea when i bought the material to make my first tool cabinets, not made them yet but got the sheet goods. I went and looked at all the ply at our timber yard, and they had quite a bit. The shuttering ply was all over the place, you would never get a straight side...... Anyway i ended up buying WBP.

Cheers

Mav

kityuser":1ynagwyl said:
I'm planning on starting my workshop interior mods. First off I fancy building a workbench "hutch", don't want to quote too heavily from Norm, but something along the lines of what he made ontop of his wall hung workbench.
I've got old kitchen units with a worktop mounted ontop going 3/4 of the way across the back of my workshop (single garage conversion), the idea is to build the unit above. Ideally I want it to cover that wall.

something like:
Backbench-57.jpg

:shock:

um well maybe not, probably just a bit simpler. I'm thinking ply line the wall then mount a "racking system" onto it. Basically I'm looking for mega storage here, abrasives, fixings to air guns and drill drivers.

I'm going to knockup some sketches, but something along the lines of:
0106s.gif

Obviously I already have the bottom "unit in place".

ta

Steve

Blimey, that looks more like a laboratory than a workshop, I'd be frightened to make a mess.

Rich.

I agree with Mav

Shuttering ply is poor choice for this. Rarely flat and the face is not good.
Trouble is, the last lot of WBP I bought had a decent face, but the core was a shambles and you wouldn't have known until you cut it up. I think its getting very hard to find decent ply lately, and Birch ply is v.expensive.

I'd go for mdf and lip the edges, you would have to cover the edges of the ply anyway if you used that cos its rubbish. Also 18mm is over the top for the dividers, you could get away with 6 or 9 for the uprights.

OLD":11ykbrwm said:
I did use shuttering ply but it was quite good but needs liping
In%20%2022.05.08.jpg

Hard to see from your photo, but I take it you mounted a face frame?

I've been out and about today, popped to axminster and brought a perform 18mm straight cutting bit for all those housing joints. Also taken a look at some materials in the local shed. Looks like I got a couple of options, ply or mdf and when it comes to mdf there seems to be a moisture resistant strain now :? I wanted to gauge what the general consensus is, I'm swayed away from mdf..... its inside my workshop and not central heated, is mdf really the right choice. But on the other hand 8x4 ply (not exterior grade) comes in at around 25 quid a sheet, whereas 18mm mdf look around 15 a sheet.
I'm considering what others have suggested, going for 8mm or 12 mm for some of the dividers.
I've not really priced everything out yet, I'm still considering the best design, but I'd imagine I'm looking at 2 sheets to back the unit, another for the carcass and another sheet for all the dividers. So in all around 4 sheets of 8x4. (3 sheets of 18mm, 1 of 12/8mm).

Whilst on the subject of mdf for a project like this, I take it housings should be glued and screwed? if so then my favoured screws are:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/pricing/INC/ ... 782572.htm
do people agree or should I be buying "specials" for mdf?

so, mdf or ply, assuming I'll be face framing it some how

Steve

For sturdiness, I would go with a good ply. All the workshop items I've made out of mdf just don't stand up to much use, and it's a pain to work with IMO.

You're not going to need mega amounts of material for this project, so I would get a good quality ply and do a proper job.

thanks for the comments about mdf, I think I`ll steer clear.

any ideas about the depth? does anyone by-chance have the yankee plans?
I'm thinking about 14 inches deep........

Steve

The one i'll be building will be 10" deep which is plenty to store power-tools and sand-papers etc.. i did have a deeper cabinet and I felt it was too deep and took up too much space, but it depends on the largest items that you wish to store.

Latest posts

Back