workshop heating

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graham

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Hopefully someone will have the answers to my quandries!
I am having a double garage built, one side for the car and the other for a workshop.
Tha walls are to be of block construction and inside i propose to stud and line them using OSB. What would be the most effective (cost and temp wise!!) insulation to use between the block and OSB?
Just going to use "wool" loft insulation for the roof but as I am in Dundee and it's freezing here 11 months of the year i need a cosy environment!
The other part of this is heating-would oil-filled radiators do the job?
I knpw that's a bit vague but these seem to be reliable and no risks of naked flames/elements to worry about.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Graham

I have a wooden shed and have used loft insulation between the shed skin & the OSB lining and it seems pretty good. Mind you I am down in South England in a sheltered location.

As for oil filled radiators - provided they give the required output, they should be OK, but I would suggest also having some form of air circulation as well to even out the temperature in the whole room. I went for 1x2Kw & 1x3Kw electric blow heater from B&Q. They have very good temperature controls to help keep the running costs down

If your having it built - Is under floor heating a possibility ?

Rad's should be fine, provided you have had good insulation. Also the garage door is a very important issue. If you get a bog standard one it will have no insulation and there will be gaps all around it. So you will possibly want to consider an insulated door (Usually the roll down automatic type)

I have 4 x 2KW oil filled radiators for my 5mx6m insulated woodwen workshop, make sure thaey have thermostats built in then you can control the temp and kep the costs down. They work great

As I have a 45 degree tiled roof and all the heat went straight to the top! So I bought an old cooling fan from my local radio/second hand shop (1 euro I'm british but based in the Netherlands) and bought some alu piping (from my local equiv of B&Q) now I suck the hot air from the roof and it re-eneters at the floor level.

I have timed the system on 2 days with the same outside temperature . It took 40 minutes for the radiators to reach the point that they started to switch on and off with the thermostats, without the fan, with the re-circulation fan it took 20 minutes!

I have recently been to a course here in NL where the lecturer had the same problem as me, this time he bought a hanging air filter, like the ones you can get from Axminster, and mouted it high. Then on the output side he again added a pipe to the grill output to bring the filtered air of the filter to floor level.

Back