Workshop floor surface

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howjoe

If you're laying a new concrete floor then put in some insulation as well..

IIRC building regs say hardcore then sand then DPM no.1 then concrete then insulation then concrete and I think they recommend a second DPM somewhere (but that's for homes...). Self levelling compound to top it off works well.

Alf":2pedzchi said:
Me, I do it the laborious way by typing out:

methinks there is an easier method of doing multiple quotes.

Go to the part of the text you wan tin the quote, high light it, click right mouse button and copy. go to message press quote button, right click mouse button and paste, the hit quote button again.

All you have to do then is ="XXX" in the first quote brackets. then add text after the second quote.

Hope I'm not teaching people to suck eggs.

Waka":1ya4cmvx said:
Alf":1ya4cmvx said:
Me, I do it the laborious way by typing out:

methinks there is an easier method of doing multiple quotes.

Go to the part of the text you wan tin the quote, high light it, click right mouse button and copy. go to message press quote button, right click mouse button and paste, the hit quote button again.

All you have to do then is ="XXX" in the first quote brackets. then add text after the second quote.

Hope I'm not teaching people to suck eggs.
Depends on whether it takes you longer to type "quote" than it does to stop typing and switch to the mouse. Dunno about anyone else, but with me it depends on whether it's one of those days or not! :lol: But I must say I prefer quoting people with short forum ID's... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Roger Sinden":o4z5vm6u said:
Howjoe

If you're laying a new concrete floor then put in some insulation as well.

Good idea, hadn't considered that. Concrete on top of insulation?....what is the insulation made of?

Cheers

Howard.

Rubble, sand, DPM, concrete, 40 / 50mm polystyrene, floor screed.

Rgds

Noel

Noel,

Is the styrene a hard enough base for the screed...wouldn't the screed crack under weight?

Sorry for all the questions.....

Cheers

Hi Howjoe, it's standard practice now to insulate under screed but if you are worried about cracking then lay some chicken wire or light reinforcing mesh in the screed.
Good luck
Soapy
P.S
I have the foam interlocking tiles on my garage floor and it makes it a lot more pleasant to work on, if you have a contact with a Costco card you can get them at a reasonable price.

Hi Soapy,

Thanks - the insulation is a good idea. I'm going to lay the concrete with the DPM and then put styrene under the floor in between the joists / bearers.

Thanks to one and all - I've learnt a lot from just one question :)

Why bother with the bearers?
Just lay a stndard "floating floor"
On top of concrete put down DPM, then 50mm polystyrene, then 22mm chipboard T&G flooring, being sure to glue the flooring joints and leave a little space all around outside wall edge for expansion.

This was standard construction in a house I built about 10 years ago.
I have used it in a summer house I use for office and in shed/workshop I have just built.

The polystyrene is plenty strong enough to support the timber floor and stuff you put on it. And it saves the work (and cost) of laying bearers and getting them in right position to lineup with board joints. And it makes a nice floor to stand on

Back