Workshop Design - well it's a build really.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jake":3v3p06td said:
Impressive carpentry, Dibs.

What's going over the blockwork?

Render with limestone chippings to match the upper part of the main house.

Probably leave that till the Spring - i.e. by which time the adjoining garage will have been built and get (or knowing me, do) both at the same time.

Terrific, terrific job Dibs, well done. :)

A note perhaps, I've just returned from a holiday in France at my brother's place. He has a concrete block builing with 200mm x 50mm timbers passing through the gable ends, in a way similar to yours. Sadly the timber/block joint was filled with mortar, as the timber has swelled the wall has cracked from the lower corner of the beam. He is wishing he had used a more flexible filler.

xy

xy mosian":2q8egmwt said:
Terrific, terrific job Dibs, well done. :)

A note perhaps, I've just returned from a holiday in France at my brother's place. He has a concrete block builing with 200mm x 50mm timbers passing through the gable ends, in a way similar to yours. Sadly the timber/block joint was filled with mortar, as the timber has swelled the wall has cracked from the lower corner of the beam. He is wishing he had used a more flexible filler.

xy

The side closest - that will have the garage built right up against it, so those won't have a problem. The far end - that will have a gable ladder, with the purlins, ridge and pole plates sticking out approx 8". Where they come thru the wall - I plan to wedge slate in there to take up any "slack" and then use a construction sealant to make it water\air tight.

You'd be suprised what occupies a sleepless mind during the early hours. :wink: Or perhaps not as there are so many similar souls on this forum!

xy mosian":6leasfnn said:
Sounds as if you have it covered Dibs, of course. :)

xy

Update: done some more, but had a real Cumquats evening. Not going to elaborate anymore - thankfully the "homies" aren't in. I'm in such a grumpy mood.

Will post some piccies in the morning and elaborate on this evening's mis-adventures (thankfully no probs with the roof). Only thing that didn't happen is getting arrested! That would have just been the icing. Probably would have been done for beating the living daylights out of a (plastic) copper with my Ikea pencil (half left)!

xy mosian":3hh1a92v said:
the timber/block joint was filled with mortar, as the timber has swelled the wall has cracked from the lower corner of the beam.

Dibs-h":3hh1a92v said:
Where they come thru the wall - I plan to wedge slate in there to take up any "slack"
If the slate is wedged in, what will stop the wall cracking if the timber expands?

Triggaaar":3115b710 said:
xy mosian":3115b710 said:
the timber/block joint was filled with mortar, as the timber has swelled the wall has cracked from the lower corner of the beam.

Dibs-h":3115b710 said:
Where they come thru the wall - I plan to wedge slate in there to take up any "slack"
If the slate is wedged in, what will stop the wall cracking if the timber expands?

The wedges would just be for the lower face, to remove any tendency to rock. The upper face wouldn't be wedged in, so expansion would be catered for in that direction. By upper and lower faces - the purlins are 6"x4" - I mean the 6" surfaces.

Update: (from yesterday)

Started on the rafters on the back fo the roof yesterday - got roughly the same number done as there are on the front. They aren't screwed in yet. Thought I'd get them all in place (approx) before working out the cut at the end for the fascia and making sure the overhang is sufficient. Then ensuring the spacing is correct and screwing them in.

Rafters3.jpg

I was halfway into cutting those rafters last night when the mobile rang. I answered it - a chap I know was having downloading AVG Free (I'd emailed him the link earlier in the day), so ended up trying to talk him thru that. In the end stomped into the house to switch my PC on so I could see whatever he was seeing.

Ultimately decided that it should be against the law to sell PC's to certain members of the public - i.e. don't know what a browser is!

Stomped back outside to carry on with the rafters, closing the front door on the way out. That's it you've guessed - left the effing keys inside.

Stood outside thinking the world and his dog can truly F Off! Then thought how do I get back in - rang a mate who I believe should have a spare key. He didn't answer - got a SMS minutes later asking what's up as he was on the other line talking to Sky about problems with his Sky+. Steaming :)evil:) is a good description for how I felt. In fairness I can't blame him for my own stupidity - but sometimes you think it wouldn't be too much for someone to answer the phone or call back the same day as opposed to coming back to you days\weeks later.

Then stopped and thought for a moment. :idea: Broke a length of roofing lathe, shoved it and both hands thru the letter box, a neighbour (bless her) had popped over to look thru the proch glass and did the old - left a bit, up a bit and 20s later pushed the latch on the Yale Nightlatch and back into the house!

Man that was a close call - I can tell you.

Well your friend with AVG problems may be a bit miffed if he reads your report on his prowness with a PC :lol:

Also we all now know how to use a mirror on a stick and a length of wood to get into your house... :roll:

Want me to do the washing up while I visit?

Oldman":bnqfvrsm said:
Well your friend with AVG problems may be a bit miffed if he reads your report on his prowness with a PC :lol:

Past giving a you know what!

Oldman":bnqfvrsm said:
Also we all now know how to use a mirror on a stick and a length of wood to get into your house... :roll:

Except when the key has been turned the other way disabling the latch on the inside, the 5 lever engaged, as well as the 5 lever in the inner door - feel free to give it a go (i.e. no-one is home). Forgot the alarm and the rest.

And if you try it when I'm home - then well, that might be a tad bit painful.:wink:

Using something thru the letterbox, etc probably is as old as it gets. It will work equally as well on your door if your nightlatch doesn't deadlock - I suspect this trick is probably a big reason why nightlatches suddenly acquired deadlocks

Dibs-h":2pzp8ww0 said:
Using something thru the letterbox, etc probably is as old as it gets. It will work equally as well on your door if your nightlatch doesn't deadlock - I suspect this trick is probably a big reason why nightlatches suddenly acquired deadlocks

a while back an enterprising (but truly stupid) scrote tried that trick on my parents house - sadly for him we had an irish wolfhound at that time which just happened to poddle out into the hall to see what the funny noises were...... now thats the definition of a really bad day :lol:

big soft moose":85w1tj3n said:
Dibs-h":85w1tj3n said:

a while back an enterprising (but truly stupid) scrote tried that trick on my parents house - sadly for him we had an irish wolfhound at that time which just happened to poddle out into the hall to see what the funny noises were...... now thats the definition of a really bad day :lol:

If they tried that at my house when we were in - if they made it past all the building work\supplies\equipment without killing themselves - be mighty impressed!

Triggaaar":pyglraf1 said:
Cheer up mate, your workshop looks great

it does indeed - you just need to get it weather tight so that next time you lock yourself out you can camp in it til the missus comes back

big soft moose":2dk6gu1m said:
Triggaaar":2dk6gu1m said:
Cheer up mate, your workshop looks great

it does indeed - you just need to get it weather tight so that next time you lock yourself out you can camp in it til the missus comes back

The Mrs gets dropped off in Brum and gets collected! That might be a rather long wait.:wink:

I've never locked myself out ever - so not too bad when you consider it took 20 secs once I'd calmed down and didn't cost anything - that and a good nights kip! Perspective I suppose.

Got alot more rafters cut this evening - 3/4's done I think. Will post some piccies up in the morning. I'm hoping that I can check the centres and screw them down on Sat am and then do the block infill. Had better fire up the Stihl - thankfully found the diamond blades for it - to trim the gables, before I Tyvek the roof. Also had better go get a bundle of 2"x1" laths to screw down over the rafters. Sat is going to be busy.

If I can manage to get my ar5e out of bed early enough - I might get the rest done before work.

looking good - what are the dimensions ? as it looks huge - not unlike my house in fact.

Back