Workshop burgled, now my tools are on eBay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had wondered about this in the past, setting up a smoke grenade and a trip wire or alarm connected to solenoid etc.
Thats the rookie approach.

Theres actually a little something called an alarm mine. Its basically a spring loaded firing pin and a shotgun cartridge designed by gamekeepers to let them know if poachers were about.

http://agrigame.co.uk/detail.asp?ID=1527&name=Alarm Mine Kithttps://www.amazon.co.uk/12g-Shotgun-Alarm-Mine-Blanks/dp/B01LWJALNCPerfectly legal. Though you would need to hold a shotgun licence.

I have seen one when the lead shot was directed down, then out across so it got the poacher in the legs, but I think you might get into a bit of bother there days were you to set one of those. I think that was more an 19th century innovation

If you dont hold a shotgun licence, you could adapt it to set off hilti nailgun cartridges

Last edited:
Nothing but with that number of people vanishing then probability says that some must be disposals, like it or not there are some very naughty people out there who would not take to kindly to being burgled.

So how do we resolve the issue of people being burgled, is it now just something we have to accept and turn it into a game where the emphasis is on the innocent to spend money on security, do you just have minimal security and accept the insurance payout which will just increase premiums or maybe we could take really drastic action and do what mr peel did all those years ago and come up with an effective police force.

The problem is much like global warming in that people are willing to talk but not much more. When you look at the Saudi justice system which must be one of the toughest around it becomes evident that even the possibility of losing a hand or being beheaded does not stop crime otherwise they would have zero crime so then look at the UK system which is completely the opposite and then you realise the threat of being burgled is much the same risk as catching flu, crime does pay in our society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Saudi_Arabia
Except of course that of your original figure of 170,000 missing people every year, only a fraction stay missing - 4521 were still missing after a year in 2021/22, which is a smaller proportion of the population than I would have expected, I'll let you do the maths for yourself. (Figures from National Crime Agency, Missing Persons unit.) I suspect whatever paper you got that figure from, if it didn't have the resolution figures as well, is just trying to scare people and in your own case has done quite a good job of that.
In some of your earlier posts, your were calling for vigilantism and violent acts that are against the law. I see you are a moderator on this forum, so maybe you should revisit the rules, specifically Section 5, paragraph 2.

In some of your earlier posts, your were calling for vigilantism and violent acts that are against the law.
But when the law is only the law in name, at no point was I saying that you should take the law into your own hands but there are people who do sort these problems out and if things continue where people do not see justice and that crime pays then we are heading into some very bad times ahead. This is being made even worse during this period of high inflation where people are struggling but paying taxes, do you really think that it is fair that some lowlife is making far more than you will ever make and paying no taxes whilst living an easy life. If you cannot see what is happening around you then you need to wake up and accept reality, no problem is ever solved by ignoring it and the OP has had all his tools stolen by some scumbag and yet people seem to think that if they get away with it so what, that is a road to no where.

In no way do I condone or excuse thievery, but when you advise turning up at the thieves door with "the right kind of help" to make them need treatment from the NHS, or when you talk of using "psychos" to sort the problem for you, you are inciting violence and you cannot deny it. I am not the only person here to interpret your posts this way, so I would suggest that if you indeed mean nothing by it, you should at least offer that disclaimer when you make the post.
I am aware there are some lowlifes out there and I'm also aware that people are struggling but I would suggest that the people to tackle crime are the police. If you want to help, then lobby your MP to increase funding for the justice system and vote for someone other that the Tories, who have consistently depleted the police, the courts and the prison system for the last 13 years.
In the meantime, I would suggest that this petty diversion is doing nothing to help the OP, who must be wondering how his being burgled has ended up with dodgy missing persons figures being quoted for no reason. My sympathies are with him.

If you want to help, then lobby your MP to increase funding for the justice system and vote for someone other that the Tories, who have consistently depleted the police, the courts and the prison system for the last 13 years.
Money cannot fix everything, a lot of problems are just down to the framework in which they have to work. When you watch these programs about the police doing there job you just have to despair, often they are more like social workers and taxi's whilst trying to keep yobs apart and drunks from being a social menace but this is now the state of this country.

but instead you deliver a free holiday with the NHS !
Ho hum. :ROFLMAO: Sadly, the use of locks only keep honest people out. These days, if your pet chihuahua gives the burglar a nasty lick, they are likely to sue the owner for millions and throw in PTSD into the bargain. The only sane option is to cut one's losses and learn whatever lessons you can from the miscreants who stole the stuff. Rough but proportional justice cannot be served to scum without incurring a conviction for GBH/ABH, a hefty fine and a criminal record to boot. In the bad old days of the 50s/60s it was a quiet chat with the lads, cement boots for the thief and a short swim in the oggin. ;)

Sometimes I love our American cousins, this is one time.

Personally, I'd have gotten the thief's shoes off him too. Survived not getting shot, but the walk home is going to be very very uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Is cctv actually a deterrent? Like I would have thought that if I was a criminal that wearing a balaclava, or a hat and face covering would be an easy way around rendering the cctv useless.
To the druggy opportunist thief, a camera would be a deterrent. A more professional thief would be more prepared.

Cameras really aren't much of a deterrent - they just cover their face. I know this because we had a couple of cars stolen in our neighbourhood recently and most people have cameras / doorbell cameras and had footage of them. In fact, recently it was said cameras actually attract thieves because it highlights that people who have them must have stuff of value inside.

Anyway, to the OP I am sorry you lost your tools.

And as for Spectric, well, disappointing attitude from a mod. No reflection on his views either after being challenged. If you escalate things with violence with anyone, it is only likely to escalate even further. I guess the safest option with Spectric is that anyone thinking of stealing from him should just take the Domino XL700 - given how he always goes on here on any joint thread about how inaccurate he thinks it is, I am sure he won't miss it

Send the crooks to Australia. Oh wait you guys did that before and just made more room for new crooks. Arctic is melting exposing new ground. Send them there, preferably barefoot.

Pete
Yeah, we sent them all away and now we are having to import them by boat from _________ (Insert favourite scapegoat here).

I recently tried to include my machines (Planer/thicknesser/bandsaw/table saw) in my home insurance - they refused. Said they were not covered by house or contents insurance.

So are people buying a separate insurance policy for wood shops?
Regarding insurance. It's hit and miss whether one insurer will cover you compared to another. You have to read the small print as to cover for outbuildings, what's considered an outbuilding (often an integrated garage) and the cover limit for contents in outbuildings.
I believe I'm with M&S because they cover outbuildings sufficiently whereas many have a limit of around £2500.

Keep looking every year. They often change prices who's the cheapest ( I used to work for one changing the prices) and their conditions.

There is a system on the market at the moment that fills the room with a non-toxic smoke. I think it's mostly for corner shops etc. Only takes like 30secs and you can't see anything. If you can't see it, you can't steal it :)

I had wondered about this in the past, setting up a smoke grenade and a trip wire or alarm connected to solenoid etc. They aren't very expensive and I reckon you'd be better off if someone heard an alarm and saw smoke as they might call the fire brigade, rather than just ignoring the alarm like usual.

like this perhaps...https://www.gingerray.co.uk/white-wedding-smoke-bomb although I'm not sure if it's normal to throw smoke bombs at the bride and groom these days or not?

I've had that exact same idea!

Though not about the fire brigade. I doubt they'll be in an apprehend mode or very entertained.

Bit of a fire hazard. Would have to be contained with a metal bin with nothing combustible nearby. Special "e-matches" are sold for triggering fireworks, one of those connected to an alarm system would do the job (an e-match connected to a smoke 'grenade', that is, not a firework. Though both will do the job, one will get you into trouble and have far higher risk of burning your workshop down)

What has not been mentioned is that apart from the physical loss of property it is going to be a traumatic experience knowing that some scumbag has decided that he should own your tools to sell for well less than market value and intruded into your space. The tools can be replaced but what about the impact on society, these sort of experiences change peoples outlook on society and unless this has happened to you it is not easy to understand what is going through the OP's mind and lets not forget that everything does not always have a monetary value, some things cannot be replaced due to there history or significance in the persons life.

There are an awful lot of people who just vanish every year in the UK,

View attachment 171511
some will be deliberate, maybe some alien abductions and others taking a break from the rat race but how many are disposals !!
Alien abduction’s!!!!!!!!!! Wooooooo!!!!!

Alien abduction’s!!!!!!!!!! Wooooooo!!!!!
Never discount anything as being impossible, probability has to say that the chance of another life form out in the universe is more likely than unlikely and might also be far more intelligent if there planet was created millenia before the earth.

Thats the rookie approach.

Theres actually a little something called an alarm mine. Its basically a spring loaded firing pin and a shotgun cartridge designed by gamekeepers to let them know if poachers were about.

http://agrigame.co.uk/detail.asp?ID=1527&name=Alarm Mine Kithttps://www.amazon.co.uk/12g-Shotgun-Alarm-Mine-Blanks/dp/B01LWJALNCPerfectly legal. Though you would need to hold a shotgun licence.

I have seen one when the lead shot was directed down, then out across so it got the poacher in the legs, but I think you might get into a bit of bother there days were you to set one of those. I think that was more an 19th century innovation

If you dont hold a shotgun licence, you could adapt it to set off hilti nailgun cartridges

all good until you forget to turn the alarm off and need a new pair of pants! :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back