Working on the list!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mn pete

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve got too many projects in the works, so I’m attacking them one by one…or two, maybe three…oh man!

http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/ ... ction.html

Last week I was involved in a discussion about how many woodworkers always seem to have multiple projects in the works. Some are in various stages of completion and some have been sitting around for quite a while (in my case at least!) Some might even be forgotten!

So I was motivated to start working my way through them to start to clear off my list. Based on how/when I can work in the shop, I may always have a couple of things in the works, but there's no reason why I should have eight different projects going...a couple of which have been on the shelf for...eh hem...years!

Hi Pete, I recognise that. Bit like being the next stage on from being a collector of roundtoits. You have got further than me, you've made a list, mine tends to be very flexible. Flexible as in "There it is I've been looking for that for ages. Now what was it for?". Once answered that task moves to the top of the list.

xy

Glad it's not just me! Everywhere I look there are piles of bits in various stages of assembly.

I'm not sure what's worse...the physical clutter or the mental clutter. Sometimes you just walk into the shop, see all the works in progress and then lose inspiration. I'm trying to set aside a little time each day to tidy and organize as well. The piles are what drive me crazy lately! :?

I have to say as a beginner with a small working space, I can't see how I could ever get into that position.

...... your all laughing now, right?......

UTMonkey":2chen4tp said:
I have to say as a beginner with a small working space, I can't see how I could ever get into that position.

...... your all laughing now, right?......

I'm much like yourself UTMonkey, can't see how I could get like that either, but I have a strong suspicion that, somehow, I will find a way!!!

In some ways it's a sensible way to operate, set up one tool/machine/operation at a time, process all the components for a couple of projects, then pack that tool/machine/operation up and move on.

Plus, you can keep yourself busy while waiting for glue to set.

Psychologists have names for various personality types, one of which is the "Complete Finisher". These seem to be quite rare amongst woodworkers and I am not one myself although I do know one or two - very irritating types! If it is any consololation, my experience is that some time away from a project is often beneficial aloowing it to be assessed and often improved. On the other hand, I may just be deluding myself in the cause of self justification!

Jim

Back