Workbench questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger

Established Member
Reaction score
This is probably a set of dumb questions, so don't jump on me too hard or laugh!

After trying to do crude woodwork on a workmate and a kitchen table, I've bought a workbench - the medium size Axminster one, which fitted my budget. Which I'm pleased with so far, but I am puzzled by a couple of things.

How do I saw on the bench? Using a bench hook is OK for small pieces, but larger pieces are a pain (literally, in an old weakness of the left wrist). I can't clamp them securely enough - though that may be a case of sanding the shiny finish off the bench. Or do I use something else to saw on?

Will hold-downs help me more than bench dogs when rebating and routing?

Should I replace the vices? There are lots of old Records on the Bay, and I like the ones at school. Will they retrofit easily?

Should I panel in the back legs to prevent the bench moving or racking?

Is there anything else I need to know?

typically when sawing down stock, saw horses are used.
They stand about 20 inches tall from the ground and are the perfect height for sawing upon.

Smudger
How about fixing your bench to the wall? That will stop the thing moving under heavy use.
And for routing and rebating dogs are excellent- a hold down could get in the way of the router.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Smudger,

Are you trying to saw wide thick planks to approx sizes?
if so, saw horses, or two workmates are the best way.
I just take mine out of the garage and onto the drive. If it's raining, I make sure the wood is in the rain and not me, as it doesn't take long to cut through a 9 x 2..

You could always ask your timber supplier to cut to specified sizes though, if you work out what you'll need before you go to the yard.
With smaller sections,you can angle them in the vice, and rough cut like that.
There be always a way.

If your bench racks, yes, put a sheet of MDF across the back. Better still, build a cupboard within the main-frame.

If you don't like the vice you have, yes you should be able to retro-fit the Records, or any other vice. Sometime they need packing out with stock. Otherts you will have to let them into the benchtop from underneath.

John :)

Thanks, Philly. Actually the bench is rock-solid at the moment (and carrying it to the shed alone is what did my wrist in again!) - I'm thinking of the future. The walls are flimsier than the bench!

I can use the sawhorses outside, BW, I was just being a bit lazy...

How about the vices? Will the relatively shallow depth of the jaws be very restricting? It's about 2-3".

Ahhh Well Smudger, if you are thinking about the future, you are probably intending to stay where you are. This might be a good time to go to a reclaimed tiber yard and get some 2x2, and put diagonal braces between the frame members of your shed. Then insulation and a vapour barrier, and plasterboard. (Or whatever takes your fancy.)

Might cost a bit, but you will have a better shed.

:)
John

I've done all of that, using ply instead of plasterboard, but I'm just aware that constant bashing will weaken things. Perhaps I'm worrying unnecessarily.

What do you think about the vices? (I'm watching a Record 52 1/2 on the Bay).

Hi Smudger,

Irwin Record have a promotion on at the moment, so you might be able to pick up a new one (or two) at a reasonable price, particularly if you have a rubbish vice to trade in http://www.irwin.co.uk/vicepromotion.html Unless your bench is substantial, it might be best to go for the #52D - the #52 1/2 and #53 are very big and heavy. If you want to save some money the plain screw version is usually quite a bit cheaper than the quick release.

One of the problems of holding work when using fenced planes and routers is holding the work so that the holding device does not get in the way. One of the best ideas I saw was by Jake Darvall and his "fish scaler" device http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au ... hp?t=38354 If you scroll down a bit there are some better pictures. I think Jake's idea has a lot of scope for experimentation.

For most jobs I find that the Veritas bench dogs and pups are excellent. You can also make up a planing board. This is a board to hold the work piece in place. You then clamp the board to the bench - your guru could probably explain them to you.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks, Paul. The bench hook is ready, the shooting boards (ramped, of course) are in prep! Planecraft again...

Thanks for the advice on the vices. (Looks wrong...) - I'll have a look at the promo but probably stick with the Axminster ones at the moment as no-one seems to have any direct experience of them - they are quite large, but I do like the idea of one big heavy one. I might also be making up another working surface (for sharpening etc) and that might do with an engineering vice. But I'm probably getting ahead of myself again.

Latest posts

Back