Workbench. Finally built.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodAddict

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd been promised some timbre for my bench a while ago from a friend who does fencing. I didn't want to spend much cash on it as it's my first and once I've used this for a while I'll know what I want for a more substantial build. He finally had them to me last week. I've not got a mitre saw yet so the cuts were done by hand and the slots were cut using a handheld circ. saw. The legs are 4 x 4 fence posts and the frames are 3 x 2's. the top is MDF. I put a piece of sacrificial 6mm on the top and tacked it on so I can easily replace it at later date if required.

workbench001.jpg

workbench002.jpg

I need to do the moving half of the vice once I've decided what to use. I want it wide enough to fit dogs into to use for clamping.

Some of the joints aren't perfect but it's heavy and pretty solid so I'm happy :)

workbench003.jpg

I made myself some bench hooks too from scrap/off-cuts.

workbench012.jpg

Not fine carpentry but it was great to get into the 'shop for a few hours and get a job done and finished. Now I've got no excuses for not finishing my other little projects 8) I have 8 more legs cut which are ready for the bandsaw stand and scroll saw table. :shock: :wink:

Well done Paul, a substantial solid looking bench - for many hours of pleasure :lol: :lol:

Power to your planing arm

Dave

That looks really good, like a mini roubo. I'd remove that lip of MDF overhanging the front as then you'll have a much better clamping surface with the front apron.

WoodAddict, depending on whether you are left or right handed, you need to cut about half inch of the top rail of your bench hooks. This will allow you to cut timber all the way through without any breakout and you won't mark the benchtop.

Nice solid looking bench. I've been keenly eyeing all the workbench builds on this forum readying myself to take the plunge.

I think I'll do as you have and build an inexpensive bench first so I can be clear what I'm after before rushing into anything.

Nice and sturdy looking workbench. This is exactly what i plan to do as i have some posts and joists left over from fencing and garden project. Just inspired me to get on with it now, cheers :D

Back