Workbench build WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wellywood

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm building a workbench for my 16 yr old grandson based on the Bosch bench plan found on the forum. As I'm not certain how long his enthusiasm will last, I decided to use materials to hand which were left over from some honeydew projects ('Honey do this, Honey do that...'). So, the frame is made from 90 sq. and 90 x 45 dressed radiata pine and the basis for the top is an old workstation top of 25mm chipboard laminated both sides.
34575R.jpg

The top is cut down to 600 wide/deep and will have two lengths of 200 wide ply on opposite sides of the top, glued (using construction adhesive) and with countersunk screws to the laminated top leaving a 200 wide well in the centre. (Hope this makes sense.) Then I'll source some decent wood (beech?) to make the final work surface leaving the laminated surface exposed in the centre well.

First job after cutting the materials to length, was forming the M&T joints for the frame braces and the bridle joints at the top of each leg. I drilled out the bulk of the waste using a bit slightly smaller than the chisel/tenon width then cleaned up with a chisel. After doing this, I saw Paul Sellars bench build video and wished I'd cut the mortices his way by hand #-o
54575R.jpg

The tenons are all shouldered and cut over long and will be glued and pegged then planed flush with the leg. Here's a picture of a dry fit.
14575R.jpg

More to come as the job progresses.

Attachments

• 34575R.jpg
    34575R.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 54575R.jpg
    54575R.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 14575R.jpg
    14575R.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 79