Work shop insurance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidc1075

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone offer advice for insurance for my workshop please. I have just checked with my own insurance and they have a ceiling of £1000 on contents for the shed/workshop. Has anyone else got a similar problem or obtained a separate policy for their workshop. I would be looking at about £10k to replace the workshop if it was burnt to the ground and lost all contents or about £7.5 to replace everything on a new for old basis.
Any help would be appreciated. I am not looking at business cover just for hobbie use.

Hi David

I get my home insurance through Liverpool Victoria, they are very competitive. I've recently increased the value of my workshop contents from £2000 to £3000 for a measley 84 pence extra. If the workshop burned down, it is covered under seperate cover for whatever it would cost to replace. So it does not come out of the £3000 contents cover. Incidentally L V will cover the contents of your workshop upto £5000, I would thoroughly recommend them

HTH
Phil

AXA will also cover contents in an 'outbuilding'. You specify the limit. Cant remeber how much it costs thou :oops:

From what I have heard about this before, some companys will only do business for workshops. I hope you find that to be diffferent :) .

Mine is through Alliance and Leicester. We've just had a letter saying it will be direct with, I think, Zurich, who were behind A&L. It's not cheap, but it is unlimited and the only claim I had to make was dealt with very satisfactorily. Recommended.

S

I upped the buildings by 10K after I built my workshop. Although it didn't cost that to build, you try finding someone to replace it for a grand or two. Not a chance. Insurance companies are only interested in the real market value for replacement, otherwise they may try the "you were underinsured" line, and you won't get a bean. For contents, I upped that significantly as well. Remember for each 10K increase in policy, normally 33% of that covers "valubles" of which nothing in your workshop counts, so always over specify.

Adam

I cant't bear to look at it :cry:

The nail was cut right through and the nail is now growing (extending) and the gap of the cut is getting wider :cry:

I would post a picture but I think it would most probably get an X certificate.

devonwoody":10ob04du said:
I cant't bear to look at it :cry:

The nail was cut right through and the nail is now growing (extending) and the gap of the cut is getting wider :cry:

I would post a picture but I think it would most probably get an X certificate.
When did you do the finger as I did mine about 5month ago ( will watch that band saw blade more carefully next time and it is now being used ](*,) )
Its still alittle numb, get well soon :)

I am insured with direct line for house contents. They include anything in the workshop on the contents up to the limit of the policy, subject to the usual valuables bit etc. I specifically queried this with them and they confirmed it verbally, although I have never had to make a claim to test this more fully.

Steve.

Well, it's obvious what needs to be done, DW. The distal piece of nail needs to go. :shock: :( So, take a pair of pliers, grip the nail firmly, and with a swift but sure action, remove it to ensure complete healing of the finger. Oh, it's so easy to see the obvious answer when it's someone else's finger! And I promise you won't feel a thing! (once you've fainted!)

Seriously, shouldn't your GP see this?

John

"It used to be three days to get an appointment" So is it longer now, or shorter? I guess that's rhetorical!

Is it worth going to A and E, and getting something done under local? Otherwise it's going to be some time before you resume the manufacture of sawdust! Best of luck, anyway.

John

The verdict.

Wait a few more days perhaps the superglue will fail and let the nail drop off.
Otherwise its going tobe a pull off job.

Sorry about the hijack.

Blimey, this is like a long, drawn out horror movie :shock:

Seriously, I'm sure our collective hearts go out to you, Devonwoody. I hope it all goes well and that the nail drops off painlessly.

Good luck :)

Paul

devonwoody":3vykgpbl said:
The verdict.

Wait a few more days perhaps the superglue will fail and let the nail drop off.
Otherwise its going tobe a pull off job.

Sorry about the hijack.

You need some of my morphine mate... I've actually stubbed my toe before now and took the nail right off... and didn't even notice.
:shock:

I've had both big toenails removed under local (ingrowing toenails... ick) and it's painful for about 2-3 days is all. It's just the fact that the area under the nail itself is so damned sensetive is all and putting plasters on it just softens it up more. I'm not sure if my memory is faulty but I think I used surgical spirits to harden it off (mind you this was back in the 70's when I had the toenails removed). These days if I lose a nail I use that anti-stick dressing and gauze just to keep it clean (if I notice it's gone that is).

One last thing... does anyone else notice that when you try to protect an injury you end up banging it even more? :roll:

I have my tools insured through C.I.S part of the co op group . I have to have my contents with them and they insure my tools all risks as an add on policy . They have paid out every time ive had my van broken into . 5 times :evil:

Back