Work Sharp 3000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HexusOdy

Established Member
Reaction score
For all those pining after a Tormek just buy the Work Sharp 3000 for a fraction of the price.

Bought one last week on sale for £230 ish and just set it up in about 5 minutes and within 15 minutes had taken the worst rustiest chipped chisel I have back to a very sharp better than new thing of beauty.

And 12 minutes of that was complete regrinding the edge, face and back that were in a state.

No fannying about with water, its a truely flat grinder unlike any wheel and it just works. I do not see the point of £800 Tormeks other than snobbishness over the name.

Starter grade is 120g.

There aren't really any sparks, only if you let the burrs build up then they can catch but thats not going to happen if you use it correctly.

HexusOdy":2cjoxedu said:
Starter grade is 120g.

There aren't really any sparks, only if you let the burrs build up then they can catch but thats not going to happen if you use it correctly.

But when you ding a nail, you have to use 60g to grind...nb not sharpen. Or you could use 120g if you like spending all day :(

The chisel I tool back to new yesterday had at least 3 dings in it, it didn't have an edge so much as something vaguely resembling a small mountain range.

What grits do you use on the worksharp when general sharpening?

and do you use the leather hone?

I've got one and never tend to use it much, just got out out of the habit

HexusOdy":1adpkb7y said:
For all those pining after a Tormek just buy the Work Sharp 3000 for a fraction of the price.

Bought one last week on sale for £230 ish and just set it up in about 5 minutes and within 15 minutes had taken the worst rustiest chipped chisel I have back to a very sharp better than new thing of beauty.

And 12 minutes of that was complete regrinding the edge, face and back that were in a state.

No fannying about with water, its a truely flat grinder unlike any wheel and it just works. I do not see the point of £800 Tormeks other than snobbishness over the name.

Some people like to Hollow Grind - no I don't own a Tormek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KljbyeueOtE

I've had a worksharp years and they're great.

As a side note I built one of those stumpy nubbs stands from the video above. I don't use it anymore so if anyone is local you're welcome to have it.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Back