Work in Progress

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adzeman

Established Member
Reaction score
Since my last post in April I have still not been able to return to building my planer/thicknesser and storage for my collection of wood moulding planes.

I have had a number of projects on the go, the first being the repair of the cedar greenhouse. This project extended due to not being able to salvage the roof. In the end it was necessary to re-make the whole of the roof sections. Other than using up precious time it was surprisingly simple and cheap to do. So easy I made a rod for later use in adding a potting shed onto my workshop.

Picture of greenhouse.
DSCN5126.JPG

The design is built around a standard pane of horticultural glass which is 730mm wide x 1422mm long.
Two changes were made to the original design, I made new sections of framing with rebates instead of a groove an cut out the grove on existing members turning into a rebate. This enabled flexibility in glazing. The original used full length sheets which made replacement due to breakages difficult, also because of wastage which is why the roof glazing was 50mm short on the bottom rail causing rot to this member. The waste glass can now be used in the new rebates using the z glazing clips.

Picture of roof eaves
DSCN5127.JPG

Picture of sketch up of eaves.
glass%2Bdetail.jpg

A distraction but enjoyable one
Picture of sign
photo.jpg

Last year I posted my lowering and turning of my manholes including setting up profiles to grade the landscaping. Traditionally a site carpenters job, well, this spring the turf had to be laid. Another, time consuming and backbreaking job.
Picture of turf lawn.
eSuhXsQRaSGid5R9BU6dDHodvnxPYfVq9lVgOphUPF0=w276-h207-p-no

OWzzPB6L6v6DBv5xFIgoZL4fVkPLq2dWzi_kH1qBHrk=w276-h207-p-no

Next job

I have been experiencing leaking gutters and replacing matching fittings proved to be not possible, result replace them. Problem, asbestolux soffites. Asbestolux is not asbestos but the rules have to be observed. Don’t drill it, don’t saw it, don’t break it, double bag and seal it, send it to a registered tip and wear a mask. When I took off the facia’s the eaves were full to the gunnels with straw and bird poo! The difference between asbestos and bird poo is, you may contract lingering asbestosis, with bird poo you will contract something nasty.
Three sacks of the stuff were collected and removed by the council.

Pictures of eaves.

EWZtTH7NsMCSGJTof0Te6Y-8PMgQoQ8KbQ8OiTyj25E=w282-h211-p-no

-7PJ6qMGxI6tids41OH8OD9CUYJelA77NRLL2-MLTdk=w283-h211-p-no

YIQImX794RwZ-pMbEj2YE3qGi1hMzFq6lhmhswjgr5g=w283-h211-p-no

_jzNe07PFYmPEAh3q0ijZwNNu4bR3Al8A9jYnKB-QzI=w283-h211-p-no

x3Oocd4mhKoV42UN9Ni14XD8AdvccdAkYrW5DkKIy74=w276-h207-p-no

pvVcEJ7CtqgpQPaivQdhKgzx5XDN7jdgPbsCeCPbCBE=w276-h207-p-no

And the next job
A new garden gate to the rear garden, through the existing (in need of repair) fence for No 1 daughter. It took a full day to strip the fence of ivy and dismantle the fence materials between a section of posts. I had a couple of lengths of 3x2 green which I made into a H frame to the same dimensions of the rails and posts of the existing fence.
I machined the mortices and cut the tenons traditionally by hand. I did make a tenoning jig, cut one didn’t like it so changed to hand cutting. Results were good and tight and I secured them with wedges and draw dowels. No glue.
The green timber
E4jCctNukXPxNVUqjz4h_OmGotnzGfR7j5bSP5ssE8w=w143-h190-p-no

Hc9mPLWnQTo_tc3NgZfPkLFhXb46AKZ_pskQDdpNdjg=w253-h190-p-no

JQk5cwztVlBiTochLKjnh5YehPUsFcVbUZCt2kKsiFs=w254-h190-p-no

0rzzO-Zesbr2wE2V441OIhEXa075iDzh0fC2AQA9pZU=w254-h190-p-no

OlXIwoUA-5XAX3OVsbzvUFYMJLY61i4hJyOLy5rCH-U=w253-h190-p-no

Next I bought the hinges and catches, a bag of fence post concrete. Hung the gate on an existing post and dug, positioned and concreted a new post up the gate. Fixed the ironmongery and repaired the fence slats either side.
Job done.

Not with insect gauze. My main concern was keeping the starlings out so I filled the ventilation spaces with rolled up chicken wire.

Heres a pic of the finished gate.

DSCN5142.JPG

Back