Worcestershire newbie bowl turner needs a trainer for half a day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerekJohn

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Pro bowl turners
I have everything I should have to turn bowls and have made three so far, but I am getting catches and need some help with bowl gouge angles and presentation.
I have two years experience with spindle turning and a few months with bowls.
YouTube has been quite good but a paid visit by an experienced turner would be very welcome.
Please PM if you can visit to arrange date and cost.
Thank you.
Derek Ruskin

You may find it worthwhile looking up your local woodturning club if you have not already done so.

Most run meetings with demonstrations by skilled/professionals. Members are likely to be relative starters (like yourself) to the very capable, are usually willing to share knowledge, technique and may even come round - if invited for tea and biscuits.

You may find it worthwhile looking up your local woodturning club if you have not already done so.

Most run meetings with demonstrations by skilled/professionals. Members are likely to be relative starters (like yourself) to the very capable, are usually willing to share knowledge, technique and may even come round - if invited for tea and biscuits.
Already tried - but will look again - thanks Terry.

Yes, awgb has a list of clubs and trainers. There is a lot of good stuff on their website that non members can access, need to dig around a bit in the resources menus. It's only about £20 a year to join and they do subsidised one day courses for members.

Yes, awgb has a list of clubs and trainers. There is a lot of good stuff on their website that non members can access, need to dig around a bit in the resources menus. It's only about £20 a year to join and they do subsidised one day courses for members.
Thanks Richard : Very useful website indeed.

It might be a stretch distance wise - but pop down the M5 and you should be fine...
https://www.daveappleby.co.uk/
I have had a day with Dave Appleby as have friends and he is superb - transformed my ability to turn a bowl (well to turn anything really!)

It might be a stretch distance wise - but pop down the M5 and you should be fine...
https://www.daveappleby.co.uk/
I have had a day with Dave Appleby as have friends and he is superb - transformed my ability to turn a bowl (well to turn anything really!)
Thanks akirk - a 2.5 hour drive is a bit of a stretch but I will consider if I can't find someone closer to Pershore

Last edited:
Hi John, I am no professional turner but would like to help. If you could make your way across the border into Shropshire you are more than welcome to come to mine to use my lathe and a range of bowl gauges, there is even a small piece of Damson with your name on it, which would make a lovely little bowl. I've also got other large pieces of wood to practice on. I used to get catches when I first started out, i still get them, but very rarely. No charge for anything, although me and the wife do like a nice glass of SE Australian red, pref Shiraz. PM if you are interested. Cheers

Hi John, I am no professional turner but would like to help. If you could make your way across the border into Shropshire you are more than welcome to come to mine to use my lathe and a range of bowl gauges, there is even a small piece of Damson with your name on it, which would make a lovely little bowl. I've also got other large pieces of wood to practice on. I used to get catches when I first started out, i still get them, but very rarely. No charge for anything, although me and the wife do like a nice glass of SE Australian red, pref Shiraz. PM if you are interested. Cheers
Hi Owd Jockey
PM on its way
Derek

If you're still looking for a professional turner, I offer lessons from my workshop in Gloucestershire and can travel to your workshop if preferred.

Back