Woodworm advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjalloq

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently cleared out my dad's workshop and got a load of beech timber that had been sat in the garage for a long time. It showed signs of woodworm attack so I treated it with whatever I could find at screwfix: http://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-sikagard ... 5ltr/66962

Now that I'm using the timber, do I need to re-treat it? Is it just a surface coating that will be lost when I plane and cut the timber to size? Or can I just use and finish the planed boards as normal now? I can't find any sort of advice on this anywhere.

Cheers.

depends how long they have been treated for. They can be present inside the wood for 2 to 5 years and only die when they eat through the outside treated layer.

so I would advise retreating the timber. In my experience it hasn't effected the finish put on afterwards.

Richard.

I think the treatment you have used is a micro emulsion it kills on contact , so if using the wood ie cutting retreat with the emulsion ,make sure you wash your hands after

Or get hold of an old chest freezer and freeze the timber in smaller sections if this is practical

Looking at the MSDS the components don't suggest it would act as a penetrating treatment (and in any case you'd probably need to apply masses of it or pressure treat to achieve that effect), so I'd go for re-treating it once it's near finished size.

As an aside, whilst not toxic to humans, the components of that treatment are skin sensitisers which will cause a quite sudden, wickedly unpleasant skin reaction if you're exposed for long enough, also highly toxic to cats and fish so if you have a woodburner pop your shavings and offcuts in there rather than popping them in the bin (definitely don't put it in a green/brown compost bin).

Back