Preventing woodworm and other infestations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaac3d

Reaction score
Recently I renovated a very old work bench for use in my garage/workshop. I noticed a few woodworm holes whilst I was planing it down. I suspect that they are historical damage, however I treated the bench with woodworm killer as a precaution. However, this got me to thinking; I am beginning to build up a supply of exotic hardwood pieces for a number of future projects and I don't want woodworm or any other wood gnawing beasties having a free lunch on my expensive timber.
So is there any advice on how to protect your timber store from unwelcome infestations.

I am no expert, but i believe when the moisture content drops below 11%?, it basically kills off most things.... so keep it dry and low moisture. You could paint on various chemicals but i wouldnt incase it affected any finishes in the future....
Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.

I also dont think its a high risk unless you bring in active woodworm and dont treat the timber.... i.e, you have done the right thing with the bench. As you probably know, keep an eye out for new dust coming out of the holes ( not so easy in a woodwork environment )

Back