Woodworking Shop Nottingham?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently moved to Nottingham and am loving the city living, everythings so close!

I can't find a woodwork shop nearby does anyone know of any good ones, not machine mart or tool station but a proper shop?

TIA!

When I came here in 1976 there were at least four good, proper, tool shops. Mibro was on Tollhouse hill, opposite what is now the big Chinese restaurant, the name of which escapes me.

There was Poole's Tools, later PooleWood. I forget where they were, but they moved to Chilwell and later Attenbororough, before the various takeovers, sales, buy-backs and the move down south without the founding Mr Poole.

There was Black's in Beeston, where you could buy a Record bench vice or a washer.

And the pride of Nottingham was Hopkinson's, near to the railway station. It was an old mill, three floors, a mahogany counter running the length of the shop. The walls full of little drawers from floor to ceiling with a wooden ladder for access. Staff who wore brown coats and knew everything about what you wanted. When it went, the place was bought by Alltools, who promptly ripped out the interior (I think it should have been Listed), then moved out shortly afterwards. Vandals. Alltools now is near the football grounds, but is mainly power tools and stuff for the building trade.

Now there is B&Q. Riverside is not bad, actually, but I know that is not what you mean. Near Nixon Knowles there is Toolstation (I think). I've not been, but they have a banner at the traffic lights enticing one to visit.

The best independent tool shop in the area is The Tool Shop on London Road in Derby. Small, traditional, friendly, well-stocked. Tell Mark I sent you.

If you find any others, let me know. And if you want to come over one evening, you are welcome. I'm in Beeston. For the immediate future, anyway - but don't leave it too long.

Cheers
Steve

I've been to Riverside today, got a pair of saw horses from Argos to hold the desk I'm making. 9.99 and they are quite sturdy! Seen the toolstation banner too.

I'll have a look now on google maps for The Tool Shop. I'd defiantly come visit always keen to meet forum members, PM where you are. :)

I'm loving it here so far, only ever lived in a village and worked in a small town (Northampton) but this is something else. So many shops around what used to be a half hour journey each way now takes a second and it seems like I can get from one side of the city to the other in no time at all as the roads are well geared to high traffic.

Chems":38j3s3k8 said:
what used to be a half hour journey each way now takes a second and it seems like I can get from one side of the city to the other in no time at all as the roads are well geared to high traffic.

Are we talking about the same Nottingham here? I live in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire UK, Planet Earth. Which Nottingham are you talking about? I take it you don't take the A52 at 8am. Neither do I, fortunately.

Nottingham City Council are about to start taxing you £250 per year for the privilege of driving to work. Barton's buses will not pick you up between 3 and 5 if you live in Bramcote (even though they go past, half empty, every 10 minutes).

Mental note not to visit Northampton!
S

Steve Maskery":3f6ktypb said:
Mental note not to visit Northampton!
S

wise plan - I went out with a girl who lived in northampton when I was working in milton keynes and despite MK being less than 20 miles distyant it could often take nearly 2 hours to get from mine to hers (she lived right in the middle, not to far from the lift tower thingy)

In fact it was common for it to take an hour to get from J15A to the centre.

add to which the traffic system appears to have been laid out by dipping a drunk spider in an ink well and the signing devised by a illiterate sub moron.

the only thing it has going for it over nottingham is that it hasnt got specs cameras every bloody where - but given that rush hour traffic rarely gets above 5mph anyway this isnt much of an avantage

Hey Chems,

This Nottingham place sounds great.
However if you mean the s-hole what Steve is referering to then I can't help with tools stores. Racers (who lives in the north of said s-hole) swears by Aldi & Lidl for his tools :wink:

But I will say there are some great forum members live here abouts maybe another "do" is called for?

lurker":330lgjuh said:
Hey Chems,

This Nottingham place sounds great.
However if you mean the s-hole what Steve is referering to ?

its all relative - nottingham is undoubtedly a shiitpile , but northampton couldnt possibly be described in that way.... because many piles of shiit would take umbrage

Ah yes. Protrade. Theyt are quite good, except that they are, like AllTools, mainly power tools and site stuff. Not really a woodworking place.

We do have another good place in Nottingham. Beeston Rylands. More of a dump than most of Nottingham, actually, and not even Beeston, let alone Bramcote (when we move here, our address was Beeston. It's now Bramcote. We haven't moved...)

But I digress.

There is a great little fixings place called Midland Fixings. Screws, nuts, bolts, all sorts of odd fasteners. Festool, too (and let's face it, it doesn't matter where you buy F, it's the same price everywhere). There is Cromwell tools just opposite, too. Mainly engineering stuff, but a good supplier. I bought my suitcases there. Go figure.

Hey, this Nottingham place may not be so bad after all.

If I say it often enough, I'll believe it.

S

Hi, Chems

I live in Sherwood/Mapperley area, feel free to pop in anytime.

I can point you to a good car boot that has served me very well in the past :D

Alltools will price match so find the cheapest on line print it out and pay them a visit.

Fitchets are now Brown Brothers.

Pete

OPJ":35h4kiul said:
Don't worry, James - Google says you can still get your 'Festool Fix' from this place!! :D :wink:

Its meant to be, that shop is on the same road as my campus!

I've been around the city in rush hour a few times this week and like BSM says, much better than Northampton. The only time I ever got around northampton quickly was on blue lights.

Regarding the tax, I won't be paying that surely, I'm a student!

I mean I'd definitely come visit!

I'm making the majority of my posts from my phone, but for some reason its fine to browse but when you go to reply the font in the reply box is tiny, so tiny I can't see what I've written and hope its ok!

Heres a vote for a mobile skin for UKW please!

I too live in Nottingham and am confused by the rapid transport system you describe. I have spent many a happy hour reading magazines stuck in Traffic jams. You can soon experience the joy of Goose Fair destroying the north of the city centre for a week or so while overpriced fair rides destroy the traffic system and every low life comes out to lurk.
On the plus side shootings and burglary are down! so it can't be all bad. Though our gardener found a live handgun in the garden of one of the houses our company manages recently so perhaps this is due to start up again.
Good tool shops are hard to find but there are the places listed by steve that are worth a look for power tools. I don't think to be honest that many places exist anywhere anymore.
The auction house on Radford road has tools sales now and again but I have never been.

Owen

Maybe I should quantify, I've been here a week and thats my first impression! I've only gone from Beeston to the uni so not far! I did hear someone said all was quite over the summer as the addition of 20k of students really makes it busy?

Still I like it here. Grass is always greener!

I am about to move from attenborough to bramcote, we should have a meeting somewhere, mine once I manage to move perhaps.

I am getting quotes at the moment, anyone want to quote on sorting wooden windows?

Danny

Latest posts

Back