Woodworking in Burma (Myanmar)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the pics Kees :) Did you get to try those tools?

Just came back from China with the Muji Framesaw and a 0.35 mm thick blade. Basically a one-stroke dovetail saw 8).

Sam

Thankyou very much for that, very interesting. Somewhere added to my must visit list. (almost as long as my must make list)

No I didn't try any of these. I have been searching high and low for a similar plane but couldn't find any. So I bought a scissor as a souvenir.

Yes, I know they are available overhere, but these planes have two distinct advantages:

- It's not from Burma, so it doesn't qualify as a souvenir. And I don't really need any more planes.
- They are single iron planes, and I've no use for them. The fact that the Burmese use double iron planes was kind of funny to see for me.

Otherwise, indeed, this is the archetype of Asian planes. Only the Japanese seem to favour a different model.

Thanks for posting Corneel. :D
I remember visiting a furniture making company in Thailand several years ago that was on the tourist trail.
It was really interesting seeing the techniques used and the final finished high quality products in the showroom, including a $25,000 dining table and chairs ready for export to a customer in the USA.
The wood carving I saw was seriously impressive with intricate attention to detail.
The staff were very welcoming and encouraged visitors to have a go at wood carving and even sold me half a dozen of their carving chisels, although I must admit I've hardly ever used them since. :oops:
Im going back again in Feb/March 2015 and there is a guy over there close to where we will be staying that produces wonderful fret work just with the use of a hand held fret saw.
If I do get the chance to go and see him I will post pics. :)

Back