Woodworking etc help on the web, especially youtube

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I usually post my comments in the turning section but this is more general. I'm sure many people know of the vast amount of info available on the web, and that includes videos on youtube. For those out there who haven't found this info, I'd recommend giving it a go - it's easy and free, and videos can help to make things so much clearer.

HOWEVER, I do have one question regarding youtube:

Why is it that so many obviously very clever, talented and innovative people who post their ideas on youtube seem totally unable to figure out how to hold a video camera steady?

K

Have you ever tried to hold a camera and turn a bowl at the same time LOL don't forget they do this for free and for your benefit not there own they are just trying to be helpful in the best way they can

Hi,
yes I know these people give their time and ideas for free, and it really is very good of them to do so. It's just that sometimes the entire performance is spoiled (or at least loses a great deal of it's 'gloss') by poor camera work. A tripod is not such an expensive luxury and when filming a woodturning operation the wood is not going to move away from the lathe (well, hopefully not, anyway) so with no need to keep changing focus settings, a tripod (or other cobbled together system for holding the camera steady) would solve the problem.
It just seems such a shame that sometimes the irritation of poor filming make the whole video feel poor, when really the solution is quite easy.

Having said that, on a slightly different note (!) why do so many people feel they have to add music to their videos (and that applies to televised broadcasts as well). What makes it worse is when they play music while speaking (Background music indeed - humbug), and that's something that regularly happens on television. Hey, why don't we turn up the music and drown out the person speaking? That will enhance the viewing experience. These are broadcasting professionals I'm talking about.

I suppose I could do a similar thing here - type in dark blue on a black background in a flowing script with font size 2.

But seriously, I'm not trying to demean these folks who really do give a lot of free help. As I said in the original thread, I'd recommend people to go and look, there's so much help out there. Personally, I have spent hours watching people demonstrate their skills or give ideas and I feel I have learnt an awful lot from them. Long may it continue, but preferably without the music.

K

K

Some of the youtube authors should be banned from ever posting another video. The ones who post a video purporting to help and in reality it is just them stroking their own ego, should be first to be banned. I agree that mostly it's the music that spoils a video, but there is one guy especially who drones on and his monotonous tone just makes watching his videos arduous and I don't think I have ever reached the end of one of his videos in one sitting. If they don't use a tripod whilst turning, I couldn't be bothered to watch.

It's a shame, because there are some absolutely great videos on youtube.

Regards
Peter

It's all horses for courses I suppose. I watch a lot of videos during my lunch break at work. A lot of the time I don't have access to speakers/headphones so watch the vids in silent mode. The technique is more what I am interested in. If the video is well executed, the soundtrack is unimportant.

Tazmaniandevil":7vzfvpid said:
It's all horses for courses I suppose. I watch a lot of videos during my lunch break at work. A lot of the time I don't have access to speakers/headphones so watch the vids in silent mode. The technique is more what I am interested in. If the video is well executed, the soundtrack is unimportant.

Yes, a soundtrack is not always necessary, but words of wisdom, tips and warnings certainly can help a newbie.

Regards
Peter

I too find the quality of many videos on utube unwatchably bad, although I must admit that the woodworking ones I've seen seem better than most! My pet hates (aside from the hand-held camera wobbles) are poor focus, over use of zoom or pan and irritating editing and fade effects.

I also watch online videos without sound most of the time - background music and mumbled commentary is more often a hindrance than a help.

Your looking at the wrong ones,

try Bob Hamilton or Capn Eddie for quality videos.

Cap'n Eddie is an entertainer, but still gets the message across. Short & sweet is the order of the day.
Bob goes into great detail, describing his technique as he goes.
I quite like some of Carl Jacobson's videos, but sometimes feel he skips over the detail I want to see while labouring over the more mundane stuff.

I have to say though, umms & urrs drive me crazy. When I was learning to speak in front of a crowd I was taught to close my mouth at the end of a sentence. It makes you less inclined to "hum & haw" as my old Granny would've said.

It`s the guys who seem to think they should post a video of themselves turning something they`ve never turned before taken on a camera they`ve never used before either. :roll:

Ian

I find the number of obviously inexperienced people doing dangerous things quite unnerving! I'm not sure I would still have all my fingers if I had just started turning and followed some of the pracices on the web.

There are a few good ones out there, the difficulty is knowing which is which.

Back