Woodworking courses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rixarena

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am thinking about doing a course on furniture design or something to try to get me back into making and was wondering how many people attended courses either specific like veneering or chair making to learn new skills or just do them from own workshop.

I know he a bit polarising but if you do go on any course let us know about it. I'd love to hear what there like

i was only thinking the other day that french polishing used to be a " thing" for courses( thinking of the Waterhouses at Manchester way). now it's oh use osmo blah blah.
it's probably the decline in antique appreciation osmo is OK I guess but much better than Danish or even linseed....I don't think so.
a paul sellars Facebook feed randomly(I know screens have ears sccchhh)came up. he was doing the usual 2ft of moulding using a moulding plane. anyone who pointed out 2 foot of moulding is only useful for a dolls house was lambasted as being a moron. he really had a go at the bloke who mentioned having a knot. lmao. he is the rudest woodworker(steady Mr grimsdale)

he mentioned how many million foot of moulding these planes had made only for someone to come out with a really moronic statement like that beggars belief etc etc. he's a right charmer basically!

old moulders must be the hardest things to get to work sweetly. age always seems to make the soles go wonky in mostly the same way. in fact several modern planemakers attribute the difficulty in getting older

planes running sweet as the inspiration to start making there own.

I can recommend the Sylva Wood School near Didcot, Oxon.
Wood School
They do a number of 1-day or 2-day courses, plus an eight-week 3-days-a-week introduction to furniture making course - I attended this last year and it was excellent. They also do a 6-month professional course for those wanting to make a career out of furniture making, and have just announced a 10-day machining course that I have signed up for. Excellent tutors and facilities at a very reasonable cost.

I can recommend the Sylva Wood School near Didcot, Oxon.
Wood School
They do a number of 1-day or 2-day courses, plus an eight-week 3-days-a-week introduction to furniture making course - I attended this last year and it was excellent. They also do a 6-month professional course for those wanting to make a career out of furniture making, and have just announced a 10-day machining course that I have signed up for. Excellent tutors and facilities at a very reasonable cost.
That looks like a great set up and as you say reasonably priced.

Hi, does anyone know of any courses/schools running in the East Midlands/South Yorkshire region? The ones I have seen are southern based. It would be preferable to find some courses more local to me. Else the cost of accommodation can make attending a course unaffordable.
Jackie

Latest posts

Back