Woodworking accessories - rant!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as the clock movements last longer than a couple of weeks - try for a lot more?
The same upmarket principle works with Art!

Rod

Once upon a time the UK was a major manufacturer and if an item was 'Made in England' it was a sure sign of quality, then the workers demanded more so the prices had to go up, then the workers demanded even more so the prices had to go up again, insert 'ad infinitum' and what have you got? meltdown, the banks and the euro are just the start of it, they say all countries have to 'grow,' what I want to know is how big can every country in the world grow to and when will we all have enough of everything. Growth is unsustainable and cannot keep on going ad infinitum.
Manufacturing in England is now almost non existent because we all want 'more' or in the case of the modern worker, less work, more money so I can buy stuff which I don't really need, it just looks shiny and does a lot for my image, or so I think.

Andy

humblewood":32lw672z said:
phil.p":32lw672z said:
It's to do with perceived value - if you make something cheap, people will attach no value to it.
So true... and applicable to many other occupations too (hammer)

So why do people shop around for the cheapest price of an item then? do you think it's because they can't afford the inflated price of the same item being sold for more elsewhere? maybe save a little money?

Harbo":txsmd3zv said:
As long as the clock movements last longer than a couple of weeks - try for a lot more?
The same upmarket principle works with Art!

Rod

And this is the way it works, as long as you get your money and it lasts a couple of weeks who gives a toss?

You could always try Axminster? http://www.axminster.co.uk/page/find/?n ... rts&page=1

This is a 70mm insert from them. Lasted a fair bit lnger than a coulpe of weeks and keeps very good time too

Bigwatch3.jpg

Bigwatch4.jpg

andersonec":56bz1qcm said:
humblewood":56bz1qcm said:
phil.p":56bz1qcm said:
It's to do with perceived value - if you make something cheap, people will attach no value to it.
So true... and applicable to many other occupations too (hammer)

So why do people shop around for the cheapest price of an item then? do you think it's because they can't afford the inflated price of the same item being sold for more elsewhere? maybe save a little money?
Like-for-like I can shop around with the best of them :lol: But why would anyone pay an inflated price they can't afford? I don't understand the point. My point was that price and value are different things.

Back