woodturning chuck wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat1

Reaction score
can anybody suggest where i can get a chuck for my lathe, its a west german ELU lathe,the size chuck i need is 18mm 10 tpi,ive tried axminster tools but they dont have any accessories for the elu,and very kindly told me about this site. i would be grateful of any help or suggestions.

Welcome to the forum Pat1

Are you sure about that thread size that's an odd one I have not come across before. Its unlikely you will get a chuck to fit but I can suggest the following. Buy a Supernova chuck with a shop smith 5/82 bore fitting. Then get the 5/8 fitting machined to fit your lathe that way if the machinist wrecks the fitting you can get another one without damage to the chuck. I have done this with customers who have had odd fittings before but unfortunately cannot suggest a machinist to alter the fitting any more. Hope this helps in some way.

Hello Pat and welcome :D
Have you tried Record Power.
They do an insert for the SN2,but it's 18mmx2.5 RH.
Here
Which according to the Teknatool site is the only Elu fitting on their site.
Here

HTH.
Paul.J.

Welcome to the forum Pat, the thread details you quote appear to be for a British ISO Metric 2nd choice Coarse Pitch, (18 X 2.5mm)

My suggestion is that get an adaptor collar made to fit the lathe spindle (18 X 2.5mm bore) with something like a 33 X 3.5 mm* external thread for the chuck, that way the chuck will be better future proofed.

*A I" X 8 tpi (a common spindle size) is too small for this as it has a root diameter of about 20.3mm.

The other option as suggested by Russell of using the shopsmith fitting (bore something like 15.875mm) and getting tapped to suit may have a little too much play as the standard bore for 18 X 2.5 mm thread is 14.73mm max.

You may have to buy a suitable tap for either option it is not a common size in the average shop kit

Back