Woodstar bobbin sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironballs

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a little play on one of these at the show yesterday. Worked pretty well and whilst they're is still too much top behind the bobbin compared to the front, there is still enough usable space for larger pieces.

Not too heavy as whilst the top is metal the base is plastic, weighty enough to stay put though.

Anyone have any experience of them? I have reason to use/need a bobbin sander on occasion and baulk at the price asked for a Jet sander - though it's obviously quality gear.

Is it worth getting the Woodstar or will it be a case of buying twice?

Cheers

Damian

I'm sure there was someone on here who bought one a few months back... Have you tried a forum search?

These are only about £100, aren't they? If it comes with a two-year warranty then, it might be worth a punt. I'd still recommend you look for a second-hand Jet or even an old Delta sander though (I own the Jet and have used the Delta at college). You may also find that the supplied 'loadings' are a bit fine (120g?) and may wish to replace them with a coarser grit, if you're shaping a lot of solid timber... That's certainly something I've found with the Jet model.

Remember you haven't got the ability to tilt the bed on that machine. That said, I'd rather have a fixed bed than the wobbly bed on the charnwood that I have.

If you push down really hard at either end of the Jet machine, you can even get the tables to move... I wouldn't say it wobbles, though! :D It's like most machines; you can lock it off and basically 'knock it' for fine adjustment.

no, no the charnwood is incapable of anything like what would be described as locking. It's fixable, I just haven't got around to doing it yet. I will probably get it bang on, clamp it in position then drill through both parts of the tilt mechanism and pass a pin through it. I've not yet found a need for the table to be tilted so it won't be removed very often.

I've not yet found a need for a tilting table, probably would do the moment I bought a non-tilting table

Can anyone tell me where to get new sanding sleeves for the bobbin sander :? Woodstar OS58 ,at the moment I cannot find them , I have tried to buy the product on line with a few different companies and each time I get no reply and also no reply to my e-mails to the respective companies ?

I have one of the mentioned and for its money , I cant beat it . It is very good for heavy hobby use / light industrial use . Extraction is very good . I paid about £90 for mine a couple months ago and bought a spare set of sleeves at the time . I got mine from Yandles , somerset . But I do know that you can get them from Toolstation too , just need to measure the size needed and decide on what grit you require .

Kind regards Sam

NMA Agencies are a Woodster dealer. Based in Yorkshire but cover the whole of the UK try giving them a ring re sanding sleeves. They are very helpful.

I'm almost sure that Screwfix sell this model of bobbin sander though after they changed their website I can only see the articles that they are prepared to send to Spain. Presumable they also sell the loadings. Let us know how you get on, I'm sure the information will be useful to other Woodstar/ Woodster (which is it?) owners.

I just had a quick look and they sell them here http://www.diytools.co.uk/power-tools/sanders/sanding-accessories/bobbin-sanding-sleeves.html but they're not cheap. Don't know how they compare to other models loadings.

There also seems to be something on Amazon, believe it or not, but you need to know the sizes.

Thank you folks for your help I have found the sanding sleeves from Draper Toolbox product no W1 13801 set of 6 sanding drums-BBS450A Oddly enough I have found that the Triton bobbin sander is exactly the same as the Woodstar OS58 so I got Triton ones that exactly fit my Woodsrar .

Back