WoodRiver 5½ vs Clifton 5 - a comparison

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_southward

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently took part in the WoodRiver 5½ plane passaround which Peter kindly organised and I thought there might be some interest in my experience - so I thought I'd post my findings here.

As I've said elsewhere, I became interested in the WoodRiver planes after watching one of the Rob Cosman youtube videos where he demonstrated some of the improvements that Woodcraft had made for there V3 line of planes. What particularly interested me about this presentation was some of the attention to detail that was demonstrated - particularly with regard to y-lever shape and selector wheel size. This interested me because it got me thinking about some of the problems that I'd had with my Clifton 5 which I bought just over a year ago.

Out of the box the Clifton is pretty good - it ought to be for the price - but I had a couple of niggling issues which I never got to the bottom of a year ago (I started a furniture course but had to stop due to loss of work, my tools have been boxed up until recently). My main issue was that advancing and retracting the iron was quite hard due to the resistance in the mechanism, and if I slackened off the cap iron screw to make it easier, then it became too loose and the iron had a tendency to slip. This was made worse by the iron being ground out of square at the factory (by quite a bit) - so all in all, the adjustment wasn't as smooth and accurate as I would have expected. But as I'm fairly new to all this I didn't investigate it further until I saw that Cosman video, which got me looking into it in more depth. As others have gone over their experience before, I'll try and limit my comparison to the areas I think relevant.

WR_review_1.0.jpg

Both planes are well finished, but the Clifton - as one might expect - is at first glance the better finished out of the box. The WoodRiver is definitely finished in a more utilitarian way and lacks the high polish of the Clifton - but I'm not particularly interested in how it looks and I'm more bothered in performance and for me the WoodRiver is finished well enough.

One thing that I did run into with it though after I started using it was that I found the handle uncomfortable. I don't have particularly large hands, but I found that my hand was slightly compressed. I checked it against the Clifton and my old Stanley and WS and the handle does seem slightly smaller than the old Stanley (which is the closest match for shape) and it's obviously a different profile to the more upright Clifton handle.

WR_review_1.1.jpg

WR_review_1.2.jpg

WR_review_1.3.jpg

Whether or not there's a great difference in size and whether that's to do with the plane being made in China, I don't know. But this was the single biggest problem I had with the WoodRiver, and I would probably be taking a rasp to that Rosewood if it were mine.

I'll post a few pics of some of the finishing of both planes before getting to the problem area for me (the frog).

WR_review_1.4.jpg

WR_review_1.5.jpg

WR_review_1.7.jpg

Now to the frog. This is the area in which I personally think that Clifton QC let me down. When I looked more closely at my plane I discovered that the frog of the Clifton was not well finished and that this was likely the cause of my issues. Next to the WoodRiver, the differences are quite stark, and the question of which is the high end plane becomes a lot less obvious. I'll show what I mean from a few angles.

WR_review_3.jpg

WR_review_5.jpg

WR_review_6.jpg

I've now run out of attachment space, so no more pics.

In short, I think that the poorly finished frog is what was causing my issues with the Clifton. The rough filing on the y-lever adjustment and the rough surface finish to the frog, I think, are increasing the resistance to making smooth adjustments. The difference in adjusting the WR was really noticeable - it was possible to set it so that iron advancement was buttery smooth and barely noticeable. Much better than the Clifton which I'll need to fettle. Which is the high end plane again?

When I received the plane from David C, it was obvious that he'd spent the bulk of his time on the IBC blade - which was nice and sharp! Though it was gratifying for me to note that my hand-sharpening on oilstones was comparable (no sharpening wars please) as my Clifton was producing comparable shavings. So I took to sharpening up the WR iron. On flattening the back it became obvious after a few passes on a fine India that it was hollow along it's length - nothing drastic, but it did take a bit of work and the ruler trick to get it ready. Once done the main bevel sharpened readily to decent edge, but will likely take a few honings before it holds it's edge for a lengthier period. I tested it on the trickiest wood I have which is some inter-locked Idigbo and it worked well - I'd definitely rate the standard iron as comparable to the Clifton forged iron (though I really do like the StaySet).

To sum up: The WoodRiver compares very favourably with the Clifton, both in levels of finish and in performance. There is an attention to detail which I really loved about it and I only sent it back to Peter because I couldn't afford to buy it right now!

There are a few issues, mainly with handle comfort, but that varies a lot between individuals and for the purchase price, can always be rectified by the end user. You don't get some of the fine tuning that you get with the Clifton (softened edges, iron ready to work etc), but it comes pretty close out of the box and if anybody is looking for a quality modern, heavy bench plane I definitely recommend the WoodRiver.

Thanks to Peter for organising the pass-a-round, it's been very useful.

I hope this review is of interest to folks on here.

Matt

Attachments

• WR_review_1.0.jpg
    WR_review_1.0.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 2,335
  • WR_review_1.1.jpg
    WR_review_1.1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 2,335
  • WR_review_1.2.jpg
    WR_review_1.2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2,336
  • WR_review_1.3.jpg
    WR_review_1.3.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 2,334
  • WR_review_1.4.jpg
    WR_review_1.4.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 2,335
  • WR_review_1.5.jpg
    WR_review_1.5.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2,335
  • WR_review_1.7.jpg
    WR_review_1.7.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,335
  • WR_review_3.jpg
    WR_review_3.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 2,336
  • WR_review_5.jpg
    WR_review_5.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 2,336
  • WR_review_6.jpg
    WR_review_6.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2,336
Did you speak to Clico about the problems with your Clifton? They have a good reputation for sorting out any problems.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Not yet - mainly as I thought it was operator error at the time and didn't have the confidence in my own knowledge that it might be the plane. I've learned a bit since then though, I will ask them.

Interesting. Thanks for the review. My own experience of Clifton is not great. I purchased a 3110 3-in-1 shoulder plane on special when Axminster was getting out of Cliftons. I found a lot of sharp molding lines that I had to file away before it became comfortable to use. I then discovered, the hard way, that the metal shims they provide for opening and closing the mouth had been ground flat and were number matched to the plane body (a sign of quality), but the centring holes had been drilled way off centre. No matter which way you put them in, the shims sit proud of the plane body and dig into any wood you're trying to plane. Definitely not a sign of quality. So my own small sample has shown me Cliftons are variable in QC within a single plane.

Thanks for taking the time Matt, good to see the two planes compared.

Hi Matt

The plane arrived safely home today, I am pleased you liked the WoodRiver.

I have been very impressed by the quality of the engineering that Woodcraft have achieved with the technical assistance from Rob Cosman. The improved Y lever and enlarged adjuster wheel do give it some very positive adjustments with minimal backlash.

Thanks for you input and taking the time to offer your feedback whilst comparing it against the Clifton, its a great shame that you had a poor experience with the home grown plane.

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm glad the plane got back ok - it's always a bit of a worry with the post, especially at this time of year.

Ironically enough - and I didn't make it clear in my review as I was running out of time and didn't want to bore people too much! - but the comparison with the WR made me appreciate my Clifton, faults and all, more not less. The WR is a fine tool, and I don't hesitate to recommend it, but the Clifton is a refined tool, and I really appreciated the difference in comfort (for me at least) when picking it up whilst making the comparison. Touches like the radiused and polished edges, and handle shape really help in making the use of it become seamless.

I think WR have upped the ante in the premium plane market. The improvements they've delivered in the adjustment mechanism really ought to get other makers to pay attention - they are not just copying anymore, but innovating, which is ultimately good for us as end users.

PS - Hope you enjoyed your nativity - I missed mine through work!

matt_southward":3a3yqf1o said:
Hi Peter,

I'm glad the plane got back ok - it's always a bit of a worry with the post, especially at this time of year.

Ironically enough - and I didn't make it clear in my review as I was running out of time and didn't want to bore people too much! - but the comparison with the WR made me appreciate my Clifton, faults and all, more not less. The WR is a fine tool, and I don't hesitate to recommend it, but the Clifton is a refined tool, and I really appreciated the difference in comfort (for me at least) when picking it up whilst making the comparison. Touches like the radiused and polished edges, and handle shape really help in making the use of it become seamless.

I think WR have upped the ante in the premium plane market. The improvements they've delivered in the adjustment mechanism really ought to get other makers to pay attention - they are not just copying anymore, but innovating, which is ultimately good for us as end users.

If the WR is basically good, but lacking refinements, there would appear to be an opportunity for the amateur with a bit of time, a few files, and some SiC to upgrade the as-delivered WR quite simply.

bugBear

bugbear":daxdvetj said:
If the WR is basically good, but lacking refinements, there would appear to be an opportunity for the amateur with a bit of time, a few files, and some SiC to upgrade the as-delivered WR quite simply. bugBear
Here in Australia a bloke called Jim Davey sells them tuned and ready to use from the box. Here's his website.
http://www.jimdavey-planes-sharpening.c ... b0bf60b25e

JimB":2g41gwno said:
bugbear":2g41gwno said:
If the WR is basically good, but lacking refinements, there would appear to be an opportunity for the amateur with a bit of time, a few files, and some SiC to upgrade the as-delivered WR quite simply. bugBear
Here in Australia a bloke called Jim Davey sells them tuned and ready to use from the box. Here's his website.
http://www.jimdavey-planes-sharpening.c ... b0bf60b25e

The listing says sharpened - what degree of other tuning does he do?

BugBear

Don't know how much he does but my son bought a number 7 from him and uses it for jointing violin backs and fronts. It replaced his bedrock. I have a low angle block from him and didn't need to do anything.

bugbear":1z8rl6ye said:
matt_southward":1z8rl6ye said:
Hi Peter,

If the WR is basically good, but lacking refinements, there would appear to be an opportunity for the amateur with a bit of time, a few files, and some SiC to upgrade the as-delivered WR quite simply.

bugBear

As I have always said the Clifton has something very special about it. The finishing comes from the historical links with the Cutlery trade and this was part of the Clifton ethos when designing the range.

WoodRiver have come a long way in seven years and have reworked several tool designs including the very nice knuckle cap block planes.

The WoodRiver quality produced is very high especially when you consider the selling price is virtually half the price of the three big players. I never used any brand of plane yet that does not need sharpening out of the box, and generally they all benefit from a regrind in my experience. I am not sure of the benefit of having someone sharpening the plane ready for you, what will you do when it needs resharpening?

Both Rob Cosman and myself have posted videos on You Tube on prepping the plane from the box which should not take more than 15 minutes or so. For people that can't get their planes (of any make) performing as they would like, maybe they could consider joining a short sharpening course run by myself, David or John Lloyd.

We do have students who join us who have invested large amounts of money in some great kit but who don't really understand how to set it up and use it.

Cheers Peter

Peter Sefton":2vlv7r4x said:
bugbear":2vlv7r4x said:
matt_southward":2vlv7r4x said:
Hi Peter,

bugBear

As I have always said the Clifton has something very special about it. The finishing comes from the historical links with the Cutlery trade and this was part of the Clifton ethos when designing the range.

WoodRiver have come a long way in seven years and have reworked several tool designs including the very nice knuckle cap block planes.

The WoodRiver quality produced is very high especially when you consider the selling price is virtually half the price of the three big players. I never used any brand of plane yet that does not need sharpening out of the box, and generally they all benefit from a regrind in my experience. I am not sure of the benefit of having someone sharpening the plane ready for you, what will you do when it needs resharpening?

Both Rob Cosman and myself have posted videos on You Tube on prepping the plane from the box which should not take more than 15 minutes or so. For people that can't get their planes (of any make) performing as they would like, maybe they could consider joining a short sharpening course run by myself, David or John Lloyd.

We do have students who join us who have invested large amounts of money in some great kit but who don't really understand how to set it up and use it.

Cheers Peter

I agree with everything you say about sharpening.

But I said upgrade, not sharpen. I was thinking of "refinements", rounded arrises, etc.

BugBear

JimB":2lbkz8xm said:
Don't know how much he does but my son bought a number 7 from him and uses it for jointing violin backs and fronts. It replaced his bedrock. I have a low angle block from him and didn't need to do anything.

Jim Davey is selling exactly the same planes as us, not sure what he is doing but they should need very little work straight from the box, as the pass around has shown.

Cheers Peter

The poor finish on the Clifton frog is very disappointing and ridiculous in the side-by-side comparison to the Chinese plane. It also appears that if the domed screw on the Cliffy came loose a half-turn it would interfere with the lateral adjustment lever.

CStanford":jkpdn618 said:
The poor finish on the Clifton frog is very disappointing and ridiculous in the side-by-side comparison to the Chinese plane. It also appears that if the domed screw on the Cliffy came loose a half-turn it would interfere with the lateral adjustment lever.

Agree. No excuse for this kind of thing in a premium priced product.

Peter, of course I agree about sharpening. However, Jim Davey filled a niche brought about by the slapdash attitudes of previously renowned manufacturers. Having used most of my planes for over fifty years it came as a shock to find that standard manufacturers such as Stanley and Record appeared to have lost pride in their work. I hope Woodriver is a wake-up call to them but I'm not holding my breath.

Back