Woodrat up for grabs.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Before I put my 'Rat' on eBay, I am offering it here.
The jig has been out of its box, but NEVER USED; NEVER HAD A ROUTER FITTED, and the 'dovetail-pantograph or parallelogram ' is still in its plastic bag and has not been assembled.

The 'Rat' costs £495.00 new from source.
I am asking £390.00
Plus postage and packing around £20.00 in the UK

I live withing 2 miles of Junction 7 M6 if anyone who decides to buy wishes to collect.

The rat is complete but for the manual, which I have somewhere in the house, although my copy is out of date.

I believe the jig is about 6 years old, but I can't recall when I actually bought it. Safe to say it isn't a 'prototype', and is in plain aluminium finish and it has the 'less attractive' bent rod handle. Which doesn't affect operation.
As far as I can see, the router plate is pre-bored for the Elu 177 type router which is the same as the new DeWalt, I believe.

[email protected] 8)

Be able to buy something useful with the money now :roll: :wink: .....where did I leave my coat? - Rob

ByronBlack":103nei9g said:
Or maybe a Lyndhurst P/T?

Were I to put one of those in my shop I think my Sedgwick 'under and over' would walk out on me, or at least expire in disgust!

:lol:

John

Benchwayze

I think you are not getting interest so far as you are asking too much for this tool at £390.
I bought mine from Woodrat as a 'second' (I still have no idea where the 'cosmetic blemish' on the extrusion is) for about £30 more than you are asking

Hi Tony,

Well, you could be right I suppose.

But no offers to consider means no offers to consider. So I am busy getting the photographs ready for eBay, with a sensible reserve.
We shall have to see I guess!

Thanks for the guide of course
John . :)

Benchwayze":3da6ofym said:
ready for eBay, with a sensible reserve.
We shall have to see I guess!

Of course if you are looking to really maximise your price, and knowing these fetch good money, you may as well put no reserve and £1 minimum bid. That increases the the number of hits, and you get a wide base watching / bidding and at the end typically drives prices higher.

Takes some nerve though, and doesn't neccasarily work. However on something like a 'rat, I'd be inclined to think there is always people watching for them.

Adam

Adam":gfhbev3p said:
Of course if you are looking to really maximise your price, and knowing these fetch good money, you may as well put no reserve and £1 minimum bid. That increases the the number of hits, and you get a wide base watching / bidding and at the end typically drives prices higher.
Takes some nerve though, and doesn't neccasarily work. However on something like a 'rat, I'd be inclined to think there is always people watching for them.

I've done this for pretty much everthing I've sold on Ebay and concur with Adam - it's the best way to get the best price. Nice clear high resolution pictures help too. Adding to what Adam's already said it's always best check the "completed auctions" for what you can expect to get and whether a no reserve is sensible. In the last 30 days a few Woodrats have been sold one for over £400 (!!) - so reckon you're in with a good chance of getting top dollar! Good luck.

Cheers

Gidon

Hi Adam, Gidon.

I appreciate what you say and what all the 'experts ' say. However, I believe that’s why people find bargains on eBay. About a year ago, I wanted to sell a rare first edition book, worth around £100.00. Thinking I would have no trouble selling, I started the bidding at £5.00. My mistake. There was one bidder and I had to sell for £6.00. I was not much pleased.

When I was researching eBay the other day, to get some idea of price, I had difficulty finding 'Woodrat', even though there were a couple on offer. So I think you can understand why I am wary of offering a Woodrat at a £1.00 starting bid. If just one lucky person stumbles across it, I have very expensive ‘egg on my face’. No thanks. Especially as Woodrats are listed under 'Everything else'. (I did see the ''Rat' that went for £400 plus. It was one of the first models, with the black anodised finish. So that, I believe, is why it fetched the price.)

As for bidding on reserve items, if I know an item is worth at least the opening bid, I don't mind bidding to a sensible reserve.

In auction rooms, the whole idea of reserve prices is to save a seller from making an expensive mistake, as I did with that book I mentioned.

If eBay ‘inc’, thinks it can operate differently than ‘real’ sale-rooms, then okay, but I will never again offer anything without reserve. And if that is the way to 'not sell' then ok I won't sell.

Thanks for the advice anyway, I do appreciate it, even though it might seem I don't!

John :)

John - it's very simple to get round this. You have a friend who watches the auction and come the last few hours/minutes, if its nowhere near your target you get them to put in a bid of what you want for it, the bidding then takes place as normal with the other bidders pushing the price up to what your friend has put in, if it doesn't go then you havn't lost anything, if it does then you have got what you wanted for it.

Also, it's up to you where to put the woodrat, and upto you how you list it. Why not put in two categories: Crafts>woodworking and Business/Industrial/Tools>Power Tools>Routers (as an example) and put the words 'Router' and 'Jig' into the title - this will mean that many people will see it.

Trust me, almost anything of value will sell for a good price on ebay, you might be understimating the literally millions of people that look on ebay each day!

Byron - that practice is called "shill bidding".

It's illegal, immoral, against Ebay rules and if you indulge in that practice I for one will never bid on anything you are selling on ebay.

As for the 'rat. I'm sure it's worth £350+ so why not start with that as a reserve?

John

I ususally sedt a good reserve on the odd occasion I use the hated ebay, however, for my Kity tablesaw, I started the bidding at £150 and got around £80 more than I hoped (just under £300).

Maybe a start at £200?

Rat's always sell high

Phil - I know exactly what the practice is and before you jump on that horse and assume incorrectly, I do not do it - I was simply offering someone a solution to sell his good if he was worried about losing money.

Are you naive to think that the vast majority of high value items go for a natural price? Ebay has been well known for this for the best part of a decade it's how people protect their investment.

Hi Byron, Hi Phil,

I know you have my interests at heart Byron, and thanks for that. But Phil is right. Almost.

Shill bidding is unfair, and ebay say it's against the rules. But they also admit, it's difficult to track down, unless someone is 'always at it'. However, I am not sure it is illegal, as in punishable by law. I have usually found it easy to buy on eBay, but with selling, I don't have much luck. I'd rather gamble on the horses, where I can read the form. :lol:

Not that it matters now, I have decided to keep the 'rat' and sell something else to free up wall-space to use the 'Rat'. For that I shall use 'Bargain Pages' locally to Walsall.

I am posting another thread for some advice on another matter btw!

Thanks folks for the advice

Happy Wooding

John :wink:

Latest posts

Back