WoodRat or Router table?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryharris

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for some tools, Im setting up a small workshop to undertake some projects in my spare time. I need a router and router table, while researching options I noticed the Woodrat... Im not sure how this compares to a standard router table? Any advice appreciated

Thanks for a quick reply...... are there any specif tables and routers you would recommend? I was looking at the Trend tables and Dewalt routers?

When I first set up I purchased a Trend router for under the table, and a Trend ali table with insert.
Now, the problem was that the insert was higher than the table so when pushing wood through it jammed.
I received a new table, same problem.
In the end I made my own, with a purchased insert sunk into a section of formica faced kitchen work top. The worktop sits on a chest of drawer type base made from MDF, and incorporates two strong hinges at the back to lift the router up for adjustment etc. I've also installed a gate sliding bolt to lock the table in the up position.
The down side is the time it takes to make, but you have a piece of kit that works and you will have no problen accessing the router to change cytters with a hinged table.

mike

And that's the way I'd go as well Mike. Mine is constructed as part of my work bench so that there is no risk of anything moving when pushing heavy stuff across the average lightweight table.

Roy.

Some may not like the concept of the woodrat, but it certainly revitalised my interest in wookworking.
Fine joints achieved very quickly, but needing upmost concentration and planning.

The woodrat is possibly outsted by this newcomer though

http://www.aldel.co.uk/Router_Boss.htm

Howard

It's also well worth a look into the Incra Ultra system

If you search this site for woodrat you will find lots of information on the pros and cons.

I think it's a damn nice job Martin. I keep mentioning weight, if you use a conventional table for small stuff then they are fine, but for bigger stuff something like yours is essential.
I recently made a ledged and braced door for my workshop, and the stiles are not something I would have wished to handle on a small router table, I've tried it and I didn't like it!

Roy.

Digit":on60tan3 said:
I think it's a damn nice job Martin. I keep mentioning weight, if you use a conventional table for small stuff then they are fine, but for bigger stuff something like yours is essential.
I recently made a ledged and braced door for my workshop, and the stiles are not something I would have wished to handle on a small router table, I've tried it and I didn't like it!

Roy.
You're dead right roy, this table will cope with anything and the incra is superb, I can stack 6 to 10 box or drawer sides on at once to cut dovetails.

Hi Harry,

Having spent an age researching the same thing a couple of years ago I came to the conclusion that I had to spend a bit of money to get exactly what I wanted. I had previously owned a couple of not cheap-but rubbish router tables. The main problem been

A)the flatness of the table and the insert. Even a dip of just 1mm can really cock things up.

B)the ease with which you can change the bit, i.e easy access.

C)the ease of height adjustment. The joy of hunching over the table-top whilst trying to force the router upward to reach an exact point is really short lived, like 2 seconds. Either make sure your router has fine height adjustment or that you can raise and lower the bit via a mechanical mechanism.

D)the use of mitres fences can be a
lot more tricky than one thinks, especially when trying to control end cuts on long pieces. A well supported piece is a godsend so a BIG table is preferable.( but not so big you get a bad back)

E)the fence can be basic and very effective. However a fence that has an easily changeable aperture for the router bit is far safer with pieces less likely to be sucked into the gap and dust extraction is more effective.

After all that I ended up biting the bullet and going for a Jessem outfit with all the bells and whistles.
Got the Jessem table , Rout-r-lift, Fence and the Mitre-r-slide ( mitre gauge-absolutey brilliant.)

I could not be happier with the result, with tool downtime at an absolute minimum!!

I use a De Walt 625 EK (2000kw) as the motor.
The total cost for that little lot was just over a grand. And considering how much use I have had out of it , with the minimum of problems, that was money well spent. I built a table to stand it on and included its own sub table dust extraction, and the usual drawers for all the accessories.

Check out rutlands.co.uk for more info.

I should state though that I work wood for a living and therefor any money spent on tools is tax deductable and therefor a little easier to swallow,just!

good luck, hope that was of some help.

Decklan.

Actually the routers not that bad,, I've got some fairly heavy machinery, all single phase, that really sends the dial spinning.

The worst I think is my thicknesser, I have some old french thing that can take a 40 cm board, it's about 3kw and really draws those amps on start up. I had to change all the electrics in my workshop to allow for a 20 amp draw. How's that for juicy!!! Especially as I have the extractors going at the same time.
I've just about retired that beasty, getting blades were a pipper and it was just too expensive on the juice, did a great job though. I use an electra beckham unit now.

Methinks a new thread on juicy tools (of the thirsty variety) could be in order or has that been done recently?

Decklan

Harry

After having owned both for quite a while now, I would have to say that the router table gets a lot more use than the woodrat - possibly as much as ten times.

Depends on what you are doing though, I make furniture and small boxes. The Rat gets used more for the boxes than the router table, whereas the table gets used much more for the furniture.

Whoa ho! Wehre can I get my hands on one of those De Walt 2000Kw routers. That would really be nice in my collection. :D I would also recommend making your own table. I made mine along the lines of Norm's one and it is serving me well. I also made an insert plate from some laminate and have a couple spare for different routers. I use the Hitachi M12V in mine and it has enough power for most jobs I do. the advantage of building your own table is that if you need to modify something for a certain job you can easily and not worry about boring holes in the top or adding something to the side, after all you built it and could always repalce the top if need be. I have a few odd holes drilled in mine so I can mount my home made finger joint jig, or dowel making jig, or can remove the fence and use the lead on pin. I can also rout a panel on end if need be with the high fence or cut cope and stile joints with my sliding carriage in the mitre slot, or I can remove the fence and add my dovetail jig and cut dovetails. Yes it may not look as fancy as the Woodrat but it can be used in so many ways with the appropriate jigs. It also has the added bonus of holding all of your router cutters and accessories. In my opinion a home built router table can't be beaten. :wink:

WiZeR":2at1fatv said:
mailee":2at1fatv said:
dowel making jig,

Oh I'd like to see a pic of that

Just for you Wizer here is it, Oh excuse he balding bloke. :lol:
1cuttingdowelssn7.jpg

thanks.

Much better than a dowel plate. DAMHIKT

Back