Woodrat or Leigh Dovetail jig?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Rat is brilliant. I don't have a leigh, but it's joints will look machine made - too regular. The rat allows joint creativity, and also will cut batches if you need to replicate a lot of parts. I'ts not perfect, but is easily tweaked by a woodworker if you feel the need. Aldel used to keep a useful set of pages, but not sure if still on line?

The router boss (USA) is a sort of redesign (rip off?) of the 'rat, for people who think joints should be cut with a milling machine - all digital scales and maths. I suppose the 'rat is a bit too Zen for the US? All you do on the 'rat is align pencil lines with either each other or the cutter.
Can reccomend the Humphries tutorial - read, and do it with some scrap

The router boss (USA) is a sort of redesign (rip off?) of the 'rat, for people who think joints should be cut with a milling machine - all digital scales and maths. I suppose the 'rat is a bit too Zen for the US? All you do on the 'rat is align pencil lines with either each other or the cutter.
Can reccomend the Humphries tutorial - read, and do it with some scrap
I think the Router Boss is a development of the Wood Rat by the USA distributor of the Wood Rat... so based on the same but with tweaks - suits my brain with the digital approach, but having watched some of the suggested videos I suspect that I could cope with the UK based Wood Rat version and would prefer the support of a UK company!

One of the things you can do, as well as all the joints, is drill holes. So while there are many and varied ways to do that, I need a better way to store my many bits. I have the trough attachment, I had a piece of eucalyptus log that was too small to make useful wide boards but I had got 2 faces flattened. Clamping it wasn’t difficult & only 1 hold down clamp was needed. I then drilled about 40 holes (edit 32) using a half turn advance, then moved the router to make a second set that started central to the previous set, but using complete turn advances, so half the number of holes.

This was a proof of concept, to see if it will make a useful storage and display holder. The answer is almost certainly, yes, and after setting the workpiece in the trough the whole process took probably less than 10 minutes and it is almost certain to work well once I’ve trimmed it up and mounted it.

The takeaway is that there are far more things you can do apart from just joints. I can’t think of a way that I could have drilled that many evenly spaced holes of consistent depth where the top face and back faces were the only 2 milled, every other method would need all 4 faces squared and of even thickness. Naturally I could have milled the log beforehand, but as it was a proof of concept and it was not required I didn’t bother. If it hadn’t worked I would have produced a slightly lighter piece of firewood.

As it’s late here (11pm) I will get a couple of pictures to morrow, as writing this has probably taken longer than drilling the holes and I’m not sure if I’ve managed to explain the concept for anyone but an expert Ratter to follow, and maybe not even then.

EDIT Pictures
the random piece of eucalyptus
419E1988-BC43-4263-8521-7DF6CAD5250B.jpeg8283A9E1-0F12-45E0-8287-AD6BC3DD0445.jpeg
9654299C-F73F-4E11-A288-F9ADF73D0D48.jpeg

Last edited:
The woodrat owner is 85 and it looks very much like a one man operation. Just saying...
fair point, but I guess that there is not much that would go wrong with it… the moving bits are in a router made by someone else…

I've never owned a woodrat so can't comment but I do own a Leigh super jig, the 12" version with the vac attachment which removes most of the dust and chips. I'm very happy with the jig and am a little confused by comments that the dovetails are too regular and look machine made as my Leigh is fully adjustable and I can space and size the dovetails to almost any variation a wish. As an aside, the user manual is one of the most comprehensive I've come across.
Plenty of videos and info on line and if you're anywhere near an Axminster store you can look at them in the flesh.

EDIT

Last edited:
I have the files but too large to upload.
If I buy I might be in touch! :)

thank you all for their help - it is a luxury to have so many good options, am continuing to watch videos and when I get a moment free will make a purchase - at this stage, probably the Wood Rat

I havre had the Leigh for 12 years now and it works very well the other advantage is thatthere is a finger jopinmt jig as well that is very easy to use and after a little exp[eriment works gfantastyicly.
noel

I've never owned a woodrat so can't comment but I do own a Leigh super jig, the 12" version with the vac attachment which removes most of the dust and chips. I'm very happy with the jig and am a little confused by comments that the dovetails are too regular and look machine made as my Leigh is fully adjustable and I can space and size the dovetails to almost any variation a wish.
the comments are not just about the spacing and sizing of the joints, but also the angle if the cutter.

the WoodRat can use what ever angle cutter you can get, so the depth of the cutter matches the thickness of the material, this is a bit difficult to explain in writing.
E776C134-BBB1-4A43-AE2A-129BFA4FFD55.jpeg

the range of bits available, though you can ger others made and they will function perfectly
CFC46806-9B1A-4096-8973-EEE1E66DFC53.jpeg

so draw sides like this are easy
0E81E98E-5DB8-4C6A-8F3C-315FFD71F857.jpeg
and ornamental ones like this, though these are probably perfectly possible in your jig
D1652C08-2314-4CE4-AAFB-CB06BDA3D4FC.jpeg
the reason for the opinion is

43697F85-8EF0-4CDE-9016-C680604C6153.jpeg

So you can decide.

I have both but I make so few dovetails that I don't have a sufficiently broad basis for a makers opinion. Though the thinner tails, that are impossible with TCT bits, look better INHO.

Note to self. I need to start making some nice thinner stock for drawers and get some practice on my WoodRat which is not nearly as difficult as I have imagined.

Last edited:
I understand that, perfectly straightforward thanks for clarification and I wasn't arguing as I have no experience of the Woodrat and therefore can't compare from experience and I'm not in the habit of accepting info on the internet as fact and I was responding only to what you said in your first post.
Interesting TCT / HSS comparison you posted but of course this is marketing blurb produced by Woodrat in support of their product and I've no doubt there is an argument somewhere from the other side.
However inlaid ornamental joints are indeed not difficult to achieve with a Leigh, I've done it so anyone can :D Personally I'm happy with my choice and have no need to swap just as you are with your's. The OP will make up his own mind following careful due diligence.

EDIT
Just had a quick look and here's an example vis of decorative joints.

Well now, I've got both and find it faster and more satisfying to cut them by hand. They each (Leigh jig and the woodrat) have their own fiddly bits and idiosyncrasies along with learning curves to match. Either will do the job...

Latest posts

Back