Woodpecker versus Magpie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary_S

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I admit it, I am easily distracted by new things and fads and shiny objects. The large red Woodpecker T square with its powder coating and easily visible scale has caught my eye. For once as luck may have it I see that there may be value in it. I have been marking sheet goods a lot recently and this would have helped. The price though is eye watering. Similarly their beautiful squares tthat if you collect a few can help properly align things and act a little like clamps. Again though eye watering.

I have heard that they are as accurate as a very accurate thing and as square as slacks and disco dancing. What I haven't seen are knock offs of similar quality and lower prices.

Do they exist?

How do you all live without these splendid toys?

I admit it, I am easily distracted by new things and fads and shiny objects. The large red Woodpecker T square with its powder coating and easily visible scale has caught my eye. For once as luck may have it I see that there may be value in it. I have been marking sheet goods a lot recently and this would have helped. ...

I don't use sheet goods so maybe that influences my response, but I have to question how square a square you need. I check my squares occasionally, just by drawing a square line, flipping over, and drawing another square line that should be parallel to the first. This is good enough to be sure the square is square enough for my purposes. Maybe I am just sloppy but I have never needed anything better than that.

I admit it, I am easily distracted by new things and fads and shiny objects. The large red Woodpecker T square with its powder coating and easily visible scale has caught my eye. For once as luck may have it I see that there may be value in it. I have been marking sheet goods a lot recently and this would have helped. The price though is eye watering. Similarly their beautiful squares tthat if you collect a few can help properly align things and act a little like clamps. Again though eye watering.

I have heard that they are as accurate as a very accurate thing and as square as slacks and disco dancing. What I haven't seen are knock offs of similar quality and lower prices.

Do they exist?

Funny you ask this as I literally just bought 2 T rules today for the same reasons you state. I too love the look of the Woodpecker stuff and would been longing to get my hands on their long T Rules as some squares. However like you, the eye watering price has put me off as well as there is basically no stock available anywhere and anything that comes up second hand goes for more than original RRP 🤯

So today i just ordered the 300mm and 600mm of these: Drillpro 300/400/500/600mm Woodworking Line Scriber T-type Ruler 1mm Hole Crossed Ruler Aluminum Alloy Marking Gauge both for less than half the price of a Woodpecker.

I watched Hooked On Woods youtube review and he said he cannot see any difference in the quality between the Banggood version and the original Woodpecker and that the Banggood version was 100% accurate.

Hope this helps.

I just have to say that some of the tools from Banggood are very nearly as good as similar tools from Woodpeckers and others. BG seem to have got their act together a bit more lately and I've not ended up waiting weeks for some items as I have in the past - I'm sure Brexit has had something to do with it. Lastly, that lovely red of Woodpeckers and others comes from an anodised finish and not powder coating.

G.

When I bought my Woodpeckers tools, I had no idea Banggood existed. I learned about the BG tools from Dennis on Hooked on Wood. I am pleased with my WP tools and my wallet has recovered from the bleeding.

The large red Woodpecker T square with its powder coating and easily visible scale has caught my eye.

The red finish is anodizing, not powder coating.

Do they exist?

If you want it and have the spare cash to buy it then just do it. Do you need it no but if it gives you a warm cosy feeling every time you use it that is your choice.

BG also do a version of the 'DOWELMAX', dowelling jig for about 1/3 the original (which I have) price. The Canadian maker of the original is not a very amused 'bunny'.

Back