wooden tray

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerdeira

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

about 3 years ago I've pruned an old cherry tree and saved a branch about 1m long and 150mm diametre. clearly not big, but I thought it could be used for something after seasoning. I've resawed it with my bandsaw and stacked the planks.

P1010094.jpg

now time has come to see what it could be used for.
after planing and thicknessing two of the planks and cutting off some defects (old worm holes) I was left with

P1010096.jpg

not much and the sapwood is pretty extensive, but I have to make do with that and decided to build a tray.

cutting the tails:

P1010099.jpg

and the pins:

P1010101.jpg

those dovetails were a bit of PIA to clean because the only chisel I have that could fit in was a 4mm carving chisel which is not very adequate because its sides are
not bevelled.

then I've made the base out of laminated ash offcuts about 6mm thick. I've tried to match the grain but
one of the strips was quarter sawn, oh well.

P1010102.jpg

after some workout:

P1010104.jpg

the handles are also ash and were shaped on the router table (the cove and rounding over), bandsaw (the top curve) and a judicious use of rasps and sandpaper.
they are fixed to the tray sides with a sort of dovetail.

P1010105.jpg

here's the finished tray after 3 coats of finishing oil:

P1010109.jpg

P1010110.jpg

far from a masterpiece, but I'm quite pleased with the result given that I only used offcuts and low grade timber

thanks for looking

Hi, cerdeira

Very nice, you can't beat using wood you have cut and seasoned your self.

Pete

Sorry pressed enter by accident.
What I was going to say was, that looks really well made and a very satisfying piece of furniture, especially as the tree is still in action.
:D

I think that is ace, mainly because you did it from the tree which I presume you grew. It's something I'd do.

Hi just a quick question from a newish cabinet maker....

You mentioned that the sap wood was extensive.....
When making.. anything, can you only use the heart wood, and have to cut the sap wood off? or can you use the sapwood, it just doesn't look as nice to have the difference in colours?

Forgive the stupid question, but if I don't ask these questions i'll never learn.

Orcamesh":v8te3bko said:
Melinda, you might want to take a look at this...

http://woodworking.about.com/od/typesofwood/p/Heartwood.htm hope it helps?

cheers Steve
There's incomplete information in that link Steve. It's true that in some species, especially those with dark heartwood, it's sometimes the case that sapwood may be less desirable. In other species it's a positive, and this often applies to species such as ash, maple and sycamore where creamy, pale or white colour is commonly desirable. Having said that, the sapwood immediately under the cambium layer in all species is usually very soft and porous and one way or another is frequently discarded. This sapwood of course is the newest xylem laid down, and it is the most efficient at transporting sugars down the tree from the leaves. This softness, porosity, the amount of sugar making liable to attack by bugs and fungi tends to make it undesirable for many projects. Older sapwood xylem is a less efficient nutrient transport vehicle, and begins to take on heartwood xylem characteristics, but it can sometimes take decades for freshly laid down sapwood to fully convert to heartwood xylem. Cutting out all the sapwood from a piece of American hard maple, for example, could result in a significant loss of high grade material. Slainte.

You did some grumbling about it, but it looks superb to me! Excellent job with lots of character. =D> =D> =D> What finish did you use?

Lovely work. I recently used a piece of a tree from our garden (only a humble key hook, nothing like your handiwork), but it's lovely to think the donor tree grew only a few yards away.

Sgian Dubh":1volgobx said:
Orcamesh":1volgobx said:
Melinda, you might want to take a look at this...

http://woodworking.about.com/od/typesofwood/p/Heartwood.htm hope it helps?

cheers Steve
There's incomplete information in that link Steve. It's true that in some species, especially those with dark heartwood, it's sometimes the case that sapwood may be less desirable. In other species it's a positive, and this often applies to species such as ash, maple and sycamore where creamy, pale or white colour is commonly desirable. Having said that, the sapwood immediately under the cambium layer in all species is usually very soft and porous and one way or another is frequently discarded. This sapwood of course is the newest xylem laid down, and it is the most efficient at transporting sugars down the tree from the leaves. This softness, porosity, the amount of sugar making liable to attack by bugs and fungi tends to make it undesirable for many projects. Older sapwood xylem is a less efficient nutrient transport vehicle, and begins to take on heartwood xylem characteristics, but it can sometimes take decades for freshly laid down sapwood to fully convert to heartwood xylem. Cutting out all the sapwood from a piece of American hard maple, for example, could result in a significant loss of high grade material. Slainte.

OK thanks for the comprehensive feedback Slainte. I'm certainly no expert on the subject and was just trying to help with some search results. But it is great to get this more accurate and detailed help so thanks. Personally, I was aware that some blond timbers were more difficult to differentiate the sapwood from the heartwood due to the colour being the same or almost identical. Obviously in something like walnut this is much easier to determine.
cheers
Steve

Back