Wooden clock question?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
Since I made the clock and its gears using a scrollsaw it seems the logical place to ask this question apologies if it isn`t :wink: .
I assembled my clock in the garage today (pics to come honest!) and tried to set the pendulum and the mechanism going but it would`nt have it. Felt myself getting cold and put the heater on and after a while tried the clock again and it went perfectly for over an hour without a peep, I then turned the heater off and the clock slowly stopped and I wondered if wooden clocks in particular should be so sensitive to the cold?. Garage is only single skin concrete so quite chilly. I guess some movement/shrinkage to be expected using wood but as sensitive as this?. Hope it likes its final home in our hall :lol:
Steve

Hi Steve.
Shows how well you made it. Its probably more to do with humidity than heat.
I have a very fine french clock that suffers from changes in temperature.

Hi Steeve ,
As Mouse said it's probably damp,
i made some tracks for a excavator i'm making , i left them in my shed til he next weekend , and they were so rough ,i thought i needed to start again :x i took them in the house ,and after a day or two they are as smooth as i could ask for , ------- so there stoping here till i get the rest of it made

Latest posts

Back