Wooden camping boxes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Endgrain.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi eveyone.

I recently finished these two boxes which are for storing camping gear. They work really well and are not too big to make moving around annoying.... a lesson learnt from previous projects.
The sun beamed through the opening in the tent and gave them a nice glow, so thought it was worth a post.

Oh, spot the little wooden lantern too.

Very nice job you've done, and well thought out too, judging by the folding cooker, kettle etc, stowed away neatly.
Regards Rodders

Endgrain.":x9bih7mg said:
Hi eveyone.

I recently finished these two boxes which are for storing camping gear. They work really well and are not too big to make moving around annoying.... a lesson learnt from previous projects.
The sun beamed through the opening in the tent and gave them a nice glow, so thought it was worth a post.

Oh, spot the little wooden lantern too.

Very nice ! What's the wood, Douglas Fir?

Hi bodgers

The wood is just regular red pine from local merchants. Have to buy off th shelf as have no thicknesser or bandsaw.
Planing it by hand is enough.

Thanks guys :D

Endgrain.":1jjuvy7s said:
Hi bodgers

The wood is just regular red pine from local merchants. Have to buy off th shelf as have no thicknesser or bandsaw.
Planing it by hand is enough.

Thanks guys :D
Looks like decent sorted type stock - not many knots.

Random Orbital Bob":1cya5b0h said:
Camping??............Glamping more like :)

Glamping? yes maybe I have crossed the line!

Still a long way from TV and fan heaters though.

......didn't feel like glamping a couple of months back in the Forest, with leaking old builders tarp groundsheet and mud everywhere :D

How do you decide which dovetail orientation to use for the right box? Is there a greater force in tension along the top and bottom from the handles? Or a greater force on the sides from the weight of things on the bottom?

In this instance, just went with the aesthetic I prefered. There is an argument for tails on the side of the cooker box, I have tails on top.
These joints are well in excess strength wise for any load this box will be under. The heaviest load this box has to withstand is somebody sat on it, which favours tails on top. 8)

Perfect! Makes sense. I forgot to mention that I think they look lovely, you have some great pieces there.

James C":34its37s said:
Perfect! Makes sense. I forgot to mention that I think they look lovely, you have some great pieces there.

Thanks James :D

Back