woodcarving, do you like it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giacomo

Established Member
Reaction score
ciao a tutti,

This is my last woodcarving work (the big thing in the shirt on the right is non mine!)

Those are the remaining pieces of a XVI century carved and gilded frame. Despite of first impression under the rotten chalk the wood looks still good.

Is’nt so ?

Ok, first I had to copy the moulding. If you’re interested in how to make a moulding by hand this link is for you (I’ll make you learning italian one day)
http://forum.il-legno.it/viewtopic.php? ... +amanuense

Then I copied the outline of the carving and made three masks to reproduce the drawing on the moulded wood

Few steps after the marking

And the work is done. Unfortunately the poplar I used is the whorst I ever seen and carved but also the ancient carver had the same promblem and, not so bad, scratches and missing parts make the new carving a little older.

The time I spent in carving a meter of frame is about an afternoon. But I had to work two days looking for the right drawing, right gouges, right carving sequence and other things. Those two days are the « real work«. Infact the practice avoids the « sense of flatness« (how can I explain it ?) typical of some carvings. I hate it, expecially when I work on pieces that I feel to have a « soul »

Unfortunately a step by step explanation about the acanto leaves carving is too long.
Non the same for the other little carving. Let’s start !

Do you see the dots on the moulding ? Ok is the only drawing you need to start the carving. I made them with a divider along two lines on the top and the middle of the moulding. Everything you need now is to « link the dots » with the right gouges

Once started, changing gouge from time to time, the drawing work is completed

We need nothing else than make it free from the exceeding wood.

Finished! A XVI century frame carved an half five hundred yars ago and the other half today.
I decided to leave it without gold to avoid a definitive faking. I only linked the new and the old with some natural brown. The finish (also on the outside) will be wax on a shellack base

Thank you !
ciaooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Fascinating stuff giacomo. It made for a really interesting read as I've never really thought about carving before. The end result looks really good - Thanks for posting the pics :)

Brilliantly rescued giacomo, the visible marrying of old and new only enhances the interest in an old treasure, in my opinion far more valuable to the future enjoyment of the pieces than if they were masked by gilding or other embellishment.

Very fasinating to actually see a few of the steps involved in carving sush pieces. I've got quite some old picture frames, crow mouldings, ceiling moulding etc with such carvings. Always wondered how its done, never had the currage to try one myself.

Also thanks for the link on the mouldings. (and you're too late, already "sto imparando l'italiano")

Do I like it? Yes I love it! Absolutely briiliant giacomo. =D>

giacomo":177x1i8o said:
thank you all, I'm little embarrassed reading your comments. thanks again!

Si dovrebbe essere in imbarazzo nessuno ha il diritto di essere intelligente che :lol:

or something like that

Pete

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us, giacomo. Especially, going to the effort of writing in English to us. I've tried a bit of carving once and found it very satisfying but also very slow. I worked from magazine articles to get what technique I have. How about you, where did you learn?

It must feel very rewarding to restore something of that age and end up with something usable.

Cheers, Ted

thanks to you Ted,

carving is slow, so don't worry.

About learning I did it by myself knocking my head many and many times on wood. And I'm still doing it.

cheers

Back