wood type suggestions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
I have now turned a little box, makes a change from puri bowls! I made it from ash. I want to try as many woods as I can, so far have only made 6 things though. tried Padauk, ash x2, mahogany, oak and elm. I have some chestnut, burbinga and some amazakoue ( not sure about the last one ... it had an A and a Z in the name :roll: ) I saw a few nice big sycamore blanks last time we 'shopped' so will get one to try, any one any more suggestions please?

Your trial and errors are better than my successes. You sure you haven't been doing this for a while?
I like the design and shape of it. (and the setting!)

Lovely little piece.

Pete

nice one mrs s, you've realy got that finish sorted now eh! what is the finish by the way? is the finial all part of the same piece as it looks a tad darker? or is it just the way the light is hitting it?

dave

I agree with Pete, you have obvious talent.

As for wood types, I suggest try them all, hard woods, burrs, soft woods, the whole lot, it builds confidence, and you will soon find a few varieties that you preffer and if your selling your produce, you will soon see what sells and what doesn't.

Be carefull though, dont buy some exotic bowl blank and turn it without checking carefully to see if the wood or dust is toxic or an irritant, I know some types are, and more so with some people than others, cococabola and grass tree root, can be troublesome.

You can always ask on here, it appears that most have turned almost every kind of timber available

Chris

ctb":2ybd6d6u said:
Be carefull though, dont buy some exotic bowl blank and turn it without checking carefully to see if the wood or dust is toxic or an irritant, I know some types are, and more so with some people than others, cococabola and grass tree root, can be troublesome.

Chris
http://old.mendelu.cz/~horacek/toxic.htm

As long as it doesn't put you off turning altogether, I found this site a useful source of info on the properties of woods re their toxicity.

Pete

Nice box! Ash is one of my favourite woods to turn. Cherry, walnut and maple (expecially hard maple but soft turns well, too) are very good turning woods. Sycamore turns well, but is actually a rather plain wood when turned because the beautiful ray fleck or speckle grain pattern only appears when the growth rings are at 90° to the surface of the wood, as in quartersawn boards.

Good Luck!
Bob

Like the shape there mrs.s,

If you take a look at my "Timber suppliers" list there are more links to Wood Hazards.

The "Hobbit House" link under wood identification, although USA based is a good source of wood appearance.

My "gallery", although only basic in shape and form carries a fair selection of readily available woods in the UK, may be worth a browse for wood type ideas.

Beware of exotic woods with all over wax covering, they may be very "green" and cause you problems with splitting etc. when turned, best wait until a bit further down the slope.

Think about buying your wood in Slab Form if you find a wood you like, works out a lot cheaper to cut your own blanks, even "second grade" pieces can prove very effective when turned.

Nice box mrs S. :D
I like the grain pattern,and colour,have you used a stain on it :?:
As for timbers i don't know.I'm just using what i've got,and had given,mainly green,just to keep practicing on :wink:
Couldn't bear to spend money on expensive exotics just to practice on.
Keep em coming Mrs.S.
Paul.J.

thanx for that chaps! not been doing it long, this is piece no 6. number one being a ring stand that looks like something out of an Ann Summers catologue! I am not up on finishes, it is just one of the millions of things I need to learn, I used boiled linseed oil first then some thinned Yacht varnish that Mr. S had made up sometime. the finneal was made out a bit of wood that we think is Danta
I don't spend much on blanks, but was advised by the 'old boy' that cheap soft wood was not going to turn easy and to try with decent wood. I just buy one or two blanks when mr. s goes shopping. I will look out for
cherry, maple and walnut not seen any on thier shelf though may have to send off for some.
how about apple, lime and pear? I think they had those.

mrs. sliver":2woanor3 said:
how about apple, lime and pear? I think they had those.

Should all be nice - fruitwoods generally are close-grained and nice to work with;lime is often used by woodcarvers as it takes detail well,and cuts well from any direction.

Andrew

Mrs S,

I would heartily recommend sycamore, I find that it is a joy to work on or off the lathe. Don't forget the possibilities of non-purchased wood, some of the nicest stuff I've turned so far was hawthorn. I've never seen it available commercially, but understand that it's a bit like the fruit woods that Andrew recommended above.

Cheers,

Dod

so, would lime be good for finials? or what other wood would? tried a very delicate thing today, but couldn't get enough detail on the sharp edges. :evil: .. plus other mistakes!

mrs. sliver":2el3i102 said:
so, would lime be good for finials? or what other wood would? tried a very delicate thing today, but couldn't get enough detail on the sharp edges. :evil: .. plus other mistakes!

Lime is rather a soft even textured wood, that's why it is so popular with carvers.
I personally would not use it for anything that is likely to be subjected to handling, it will mark quite easily with a fingernail.

Walnut, Laburnum, Yew, Holly, Hazel, Beech, Padauk, Purple Heart, Pau Rosa, Cocobola, are some I would suggest for taking good detail and finish.

yes just make sure youve got the old mask on,have you tried hawthorn, its lovely wood to turn cuts as smooth as cheese,a bit hard to come by but you get great twisted grain , box wood,s nice too,without the expense of american hardwoods.

In my nearest wood supplier they have a bin near the saw table with all the offcuts in. You can pick up a load of these cheap and they are useful for practice and small stuff like finials. Only problem is, if you are as expert as me you don't always know what wood they are. If you get a helpful assistant they can sometimes tell you so carry a felt tip with you.

Pete

For small and/or detailed stuff I would look for anyhting that feels hard and heavy (i.e. dense). I have certainly found softer woods like lime and poplar difficult to finish, which I attributed to softness rather than general incompetence.

Dod

CHJ":3kpws0i8 said:
Walnut, Laburnum, Yew, Holly, Hazel, Beech, Padauk, Purple Heart, Pau Rosa, Cocobola, are some I would suggest for taking good detail and finish.
I'd add boxwood, ebony, rosewood, depending on financial situation... :wink: Rather a good one from the garden is pittosporum (if you a: have any large enough, and b: know what the heck that is :D ) - sort of a cross between box and holly.

Cheers, Alf

In Cornwall where even the rosemaries grow large enough to turn... :shock:

Rather a good one from the garden is pittosporum (if you a: have any large enough, and b: know what the heck that is ) - sort of a cross between box and holly.

Although it's usually small in section Mahonia (Oregon rape) and Berberis are good if you like yellow... can be a beggar to dry though :wink:

Back