Wood to polystyrene panel adhesive.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Losos

Established Member
Reaction score
What would you use to join some wood to a polystyrene panel (The kind of thing which all electrical goodies come in now-a-days)

Have tried some glues I had in the workshop, not had much success so far.

So thought that the combined knowledge of all the 'maestros' on here would be able to help :)

All suggestions welcome.

Latex adhesive (e.g. Copydex) used as a contact adhesive (coat both sides, leave to dry, carefully align :D and press together).

In a craft context PVA is the go-to adhesive for sticking expanded polystyrene together, and to paper or card so it'll work just as well with wood.

But if you're using the native surface of a moulded block of polystyrene that could be the source of a bond issue since there may be release agents or other surface contamination present.

Stixall or Fixall or any of the equivalent polymer based adhesives/sealants. They really do seem to stick everything to anything, even in the wet.

Doug

Interested in this so doing a quick test.

This morning I glued some samples of ply to some Graphite EPS with PVA and Polyurethane. Will soon know if either are suitable

Thanks everyone, MikeG it's mainly for small stuff, I wanted to make a smallish box and line it with polystyrene sheet (of which I have lots !) and put some stuff which the label says 'Do not store below 5 C' some stuff I use in the garden (e,g, Compost maker from Maxicrop and Tomorite)

Some adhesives also say 'Do not store below X degree' often +5 or zero. If you're not using adhesives every day they get forgotten (Well I forget, typical problem with us oldies :lol: :lol: :lol:

A lot of my stuff is stored in the garage and it can get cold in there. Also in a previous location I lost a lot of stuff when the temperature went below zero (Which was quite often in winter !!)

I'll get some 'Stixall' or 'Fixal' tomorrow. Probably have to go to Screwfix and probably find they don't have it in store. "We can get it for this afternoon sir" doesn't cut much ice with me since I usually have a 20 mile round trip. Live out in the sticks you know haha.

Will look in again tomorrow to see results of Beau's trials, my attempts with PU didn't seem to work to well, maybe wrong sort of PU ?

Anyway thanks once again for everyones input.

Got impatient and just been out to see how well the ply had bonded to the EPS. Both passed with flying colours with hunks of polystyrene stuck to the ply when wrenched apart. The PVA was not even properly set.

Not sure your plan to insulate the boxes will help much though. Insulation only slows the transfer of heat. If there is no heat in the box not sure why it would help beyond slowing the inevitable.

Latest posts

Back